Saturday, October 11, 2014

Town visit


Went into town again.  Made a stop at the leather store I use for some supplies.  Starting the holster a friend wanted and needed something to make the leather pouches for those Challenge Coins.  Now that there is a surgery date I know this won't get put on the back burner.

 Didn't pick up much but you couldn't tell that from the receipt.  Inflation has definitely hit the leather industry.  Still a bit shell shocked.  I had to inform the friend the holster would cost more than I anticipated.  I try to keep my prices low, especially for friends and family.  I don't make a living off of this leather work, I just enjoy doing it and seeing how pleased folks are.  That is most of why I do this. 

Then we headed over to see a cousin of mine that has been battling melanoma for a couple years.  She is really struggling at this point.  She was in really good spirits but she was high on xanax.  What ever it takes.  It is really difficult for her mother to see her like this as she lost her mother not long ago.  They were very close.  Stayed about an hour, we prayed and left in tears.

Drove over to have lunch with my parents.  Hadn't seen them since before my diagnosis.  My Dad has recently had a knee replacement surgery.  That was harder on my Mother than on him, she worries about every little thing. I know where I get it from.  Her biggest fear was being able to care for him.  At one point it wasn't looking to good.  The anesthesia played havoc with him.  He just wasn't thinking right, is how I will put it.    He is doing great now it appears.  Hate to see the advances of age affecting them so much.   

While there they did something for me that was a huge gesture that touched me deeply.  They passed a couple of items on to me that had belonged to my Grandparents.  I had stayed at my Grandparents house until I started school at 6 years old while both parents worked.  I got pretty attached to them.  These two items were a huge part of my memories from that time.  They are really precious to me.  They will be passed on in the family also when I go and I hope with happy memories.   

A very emotional day.  We didn't even speak of my issues thankfully.  Don't know if that was by design or just to much going on.  I know Mom was quite distracted with other issues she shared with us.  So probably the latter.

Will watch some college football today and hope my team doesn't get blown out by the Land Thieves from north of the Red River.  Except for last year it's been depressingly one sided.  Hoping for a HUGE upset. 

Fella's just a reminder, get that PSA test done, it's painless and may save your life.

Things could always be worse.  Happy Trails.

No comments: