Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Great Weekend

Regardless of the news from the surgeon Monday, I did have a pretty amazing weekend.  I want to focus on the good and not linger over not so good.  You can scroll down to yesterdays update to learn about that. 
 
I am a big fan of Bluegrass.  A cousin attended the IBMA (Bluegrass Music Awards) in Raleigh NC this past week.  For months I have known she was going and would occasionally tell her to get me an autograph of my favorite Bluegrass singer, Del McCoury.  Sunday evening I get this on Facebook.
 
 
 
I could hardly believe my eyes.  There he was, Del McCoury.  And he is saying Hi to me!
Anji, thank you so much, I grinned the rest of the night and still do every time I look at that.  And here is one of my favorite Del songs in case you aren't familiar with the genre.
 
 
Also on Sunday another surprising thing happened.  Now, I want to be very careful how I say things here.  I was deeply moved, touched, by a person I have met only once.  I do keep up with him through his Dad, a very good friend.  Yet he did something for my wife and I that just left me speechless.  I still find it hard to describe how this affected me.  Unfortunately due to real OPSEC concerns I cannot reveal this Soldiers name.  I also don't want this to come off as me tooting my own horn.   

We were approached at church by a dear friend that he wanted to talk with us after services.  We get outside and he is showing me this Challenge Coin from an extremely well known Army Regiment.  He then proceeds to tell me it was carried on every combat mission by his son, a member of that historic Regiment during a recent deployment.  That it had been carried in honor of me and my wife.  Along with that, was a framed photo of his platoon in all their combat gear with a note thanking us for our support.  I was truly struck speechless.  He had planned to bring it to me himself but had become aware of my recent health issue.  He sent it to me with his Dad, thinking I could use the boost.  You have no idea how much that worked.  My eyes even got very blurry from wet stuff. 

We did not deserve any recognition for the small thing we did.  I know there are many folks that have done similar and much more with no recognition.  I wish we could have done more.  What we did was so insignificant, especially in comparison to their sacrifice, not to mention the ones they have at home waiting and worrying.  I treasure this more than I could ever explain.  I thank God we have men like this in our Country. 

Now to make a special leather pouch to carry it with me.  His Dad will get one too for a coin he has.

Staff Sergeant, we are in your debt and your teammates. 

 

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Two great things! :-) Thanks for supporting the folks downrange!!!