Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Grandkid Adventures


We picked up the Grandkids Sunday evening.  They will be here a couple nights.  We had just been missing them so decided we should visit.  Some how it turns into a 2 night stay lol.  My oldest son always asks us to take them for longer, he is kidding but truthful in the same breath.  You remember how it was don't you?

We were looking to do something a bit different with them this time.  The wife suggested a Wildlife Ranch that is in the area.  I was game as I had thought about this in the past but never got around to it for some reason.  Was a little skeptical at first due to the weather.  Although it was spectacular and not to warm at all, it was very windy.  15-25 mph with gusts up to 35.  I didn't want to have an trip that was very spendy for entrance fees and the animals be laid up in the brush due to the wind.  We chanced it anyway.  Even the person taking our cash was not committal about what to expect from the animals.  Not a good sign.  Turns out they weren't real active but did get to see quite a few and even feed some by hand even though they warn you not to.  My bad. 

 They weren't quite sure about how to brush a pigmy goat.  L.R. kept brushing against the fur.


D.J. loves giraffes
 
Not sure what this one is, any ideas? This is how most of the animals were, laying down but pretty close to the road.
 
 
Wildebeest, they had quite a few of these.

 
Pretty sure the wife and I enjoyed it more than the kids.  At 4 and 6 the attention span is very short.  What ever we were doing it seemed the younger one always was ready for something else.  We figure that there was just not enough activity for a very active 4 year old boy.  Even the 6 year old started asking about another activity back at home.  Lesson learned I guess lol.
 
This is one of the things they were more interested in doing, painting up pumpkins.  They wife is a genius.

 

Having the G-kids here is a great distraction for us.  Helps keep our minds in a good place.  I found that the wife has been having darker thoughts than I knew.  She hides it well from me but let it slip the other day.  She feels like she doesn't have much control over things since my diagnosis.  I try to stay emotionally 'up' not only for myself but for her and thought things had been going very well.  But that was a surprise for me.  Need to keep her more in mind.
 
Seeing my sons and many other friends Sunday evening was just what we needed.  Spoke with another sweet lady that is battling cancer and we both were lifting each other up.  I know she did for me and hope I lifted her as much.  Being around such great folks is a special gift for me at this time.

You may be getting sick of hearing this, but fella's get that prostate checked and ladies insist that the man or men you love get this done.  You may save his/their life. 

Happy Trails.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Sounds like a good day! And honestly, I've never seen a painted pumpkin... :-)

Randy said...

They were intended to be scary faces or something Halloween. But they were having fun.