Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Here and gone


The weather here is just spectacular.  Nice and cool in the morning about 50* and very low humidity for a change.  Days like this are what make this time of year my favorite.
 
 
This cooler weather has made Buster more spry, even with the Grandkids wearing him out he has been pretty active early in the morning.  He seems to love it as much as I do.  He bounces across the yard to find the cottontails that come by and tease him and then over to say hi to the nuisance dog behind us.


Even with this great weather it seems the Grandkids would rather be inside planted in front of the TV.  We only had cartoons on Saturdays when I was a kid, the rest of the time we were outside with friends or otherwise occupied.  Now there are cartoons of some sort on 24/7.  TV has become the babysitter for much of our nation.  I am guilty of this at this moment as the wife is out and they are with me and I am doing this and working some leather.  It's just to easy to let that happen at times.  My G-kids are very young yet and are home schooled.  The daughter-in-law is very vigilant about what they see on TV.  Can't be to careful.  She does a super job with them.

I had some tomato plants that survived the summer and I left them to see if I could get more tomatoes this fall.  There are a few green ones now, but it appears that the tomato blossom rot has returned. 
 

 
Used Epsom salts to combat this when I planted and once more later.  It appears this will be an ongoing battle and not a permanent fix.  Have installed an above ground box for a larger space for my tomato plants and maybe a few other veggies.  Will need to haul in some garden mix for that.  The soil here is just awful for any sort of vegetables or anything for that matter.  Hoping I'll be recovered enough from surgery to get that done around late February.


Was answering some questions from a friend about my cancer.  After encouraging him to get checked he said he didn't plan on getting what I have.  Not sure in what context he meant it.  I told him to 'be careful, you know what happens when you tell God your plans.  He gets a good laugh.'  Hope he gets it taken care of.

The G-kids have gone home and it is much to quiet now.  They are about 25 miles from us, not to far but the distance seems huge when they are so busy all the time and we don't get to see them without making plans, nothing spontaneous.  Seems that's how everything is now, make plans, never spontaneous.  There is just to much competing for our time with jobs, errands, doctors, etc.  When my boys were young we lived very near my parents and grandparents.  They were a great help to us then whether baby sitting or just to visit.  I miss the simpler times. 

Happy Trails

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

You're right, we would have been kicked out of the house until dinner or supper... TV is the bane of our kids existence, leading them to sound bites rather than actually reading and learning... sigh

Terry and Linda said...

Your place is beautiful! I always miss the grandchildren and relish the peace at the same time!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/?s=The+Adventures+of+Fuzzy+and+Boomer&submit=Search
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com