Saturday, October 4, 2014

No Rain

Click the pics to get a better view.

The cool front wasn't impressive at all.  No rain here, most fell to the northeast.  It is a little cooler this morning 61* and not quite as humid and crystal clear skies.  Waiting to see how warm it gets this afternoon.  We have gone from 40% chance of rain to zero, Zip, nada.  Was talking to my compadre that lives about 100 miles farther south of me yesterday, and he ended our conversation by telling me he needed to cut some firewood to get ready for the cooler weather.  I had to tease him about it maybe getting down to 55 so he better lay in a lot of wood.  It's probably 10 degrees warmer there.  I'm sure he was just excited to use his fireplace in the new house he just built.  Maybe the next front will be more impressive.   That reminds me I need to get a chimney sweep out to do some work.

Saw a couple of young buck whitetails pushing each other around.  Nothing serious, just playing with their new antlers.  Won't be long that they will get serious about it.  The 'rut' comes early in this part of Texas.  Early enough that there are usually two ruts each fall/winter.  In fact with this slightly cooler weather it may have set them off already.  When that happens we see bucks we don't usually ever see.  The big boys like this one manage to stay hidden the rest of the year.


Saw a couple of really late fawns this year. 
 
 
One hangs out behind my house and is still quite small and still suckling.  They are usually born around the first week of May, and then again in June.  Plenty of time to lose most of their spots.  This one was born in late August.  Never have seen one born that late in the year.  Hope it survives our winter.   

My sweetie did good on the last day of the show Friday, more than doubled the previous day.  More importantly to me, she managed to sell an Ipad carry case I tooled that has been around way to long along with a holster.  I had been willing to let that case go way below it's value.  I could never have gotten out of it the time I actually had in it.  That put a huge grin on my face.
 

 
 
Y'all have a good 'un and thanks for stopping by.

4 comments:

Terry and Linda said...

Late babies...hope they can make through the winter!!!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/?s=The+Adventures+of+Fuzzy+and+Boomer&submit=Search
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Old NFO said...

That is beautiful work! And that deer head would look good over the fireplace! :-)

Randy said...

Our winters aren't to bad here and there aren't many predators either. The habitat is in pretty good shape, better than past years. Chances are probably pretty good.

Randy said...

Thank you sir. Yes he would, pretty big for a Hill Country buck. I'll leave him to someone else. I just shoot them with the camera anymore.