Wednesday, January 14, 2015

It Didn't Work


Kim went out to run a bunch of errands today and I worked on finishing up a leather project.  In the middle of the project she calls me, she locked her keys in the car.  Well this was the time to try out a technique I saw on the book of faces or somewhere else on the wild weird web.  The technique was to call someone that had your spare set of keys with the remote.  The person with the locked car would then hold the phone near the door of the car while the person with the spare remote pressed it.  It was supposed to open the locked door.  Supposed to.  Maybe I did something wrong.  Next thing to do was go get it unlocked for her, 25 miles away.   

A little over an hour later I'm back home trying to finish the project.  Smashed my finger trying to set a rivet on leather that was to thick for that type rivet.  Still smarts.  Anyway, the rifle bolt carrier is finished. 

 
 
Learned some things on this.  Use the right thickness leather.  I thought I could make a good solid feeling carrier with a heavier piece of leather.  It wasn't necessary at all really.  Thinner would have worked just fine and I wouldn't have smashed my stupid finger or stupidly smashed my finger.  He wanted a clip for the belt instead of a loop.  It is attached with one rivet, so it will swivel on the rivet.  I don't particularly like that.  The rivets and snap also prevented the lacing from being the entire length of that side.  It's like that anytime I work on a project that is new to me, one I haven't done before.  There are some things I would do different.  I still have concerns about the fit since I didn't have the actual bolt it will be used for.  But when it comes down to it, that's his problem.  I am pretty sure it will be just fine, not perfect but it will work. 

The billing from my surgery started arriving this week.  Thank goodness for good insurance, whew.  Will get those settled up pretty quick so we don't have to worry about them anymore.

Tomorrow I may take a trip into town.  I want to try to make my own caldo de res.  The weather is perfect for it.  Need to start making a list of things I want in it.   

Happy Trails

1 comment: