Saturday, January 10, 2015

Date Night/Day


We went into town Friday to pick up a couple prescriptions and for an early date night.  We haven't had a date night since before my surgery for various reasons.  Date nights on Friday nights don't work to good in the part of town we would go to in the evening.  Every place you go to has a line of folks waiting for a table.  I won't wait long, even more so now with my issues.  If we see a line we just leave before we even get inside.  Only places available without a crowd are generally fast food, not real cool for a date night.  We went to one of our favorite Mexican places.  We both love Puffy Tacos, it's a San Antonio invention.  You won't find it many places other than San Antonio, if you do they most likely have San Antonio roots/influence.  If you come here it's a must but find the right place.  A hole in the wall would be best.
 
 
The waitress said the Caldo de Res (beef soup) was very good, I took her up on that since it is cold and damp, it sounded perfect.  It was.  Probably the best bowl of caldo I have ever had.  They served a bigger bowl than this one.  Very big and chunky veggies.  Just like this one.


It seems this part of Texas is sitting around waiting for a possible ice storm tonight and Saturday.  We are overdue.  It's kinda funny to see how breathless the weather know it alls get when something like this is going on.  Doesn't matter which one you watch, they all seem to get overly excited about bad weather.  I mean they almost look giddy, not worried.  It's good to love your job.

I have gotten the Ipad cover completed, but I won't show photos until I deliver it.  The leather took the stain pretty unevenly.  Not sure I like the way it looks.  Kim says she loves the way it looks with the imperfections in the leather, that's what makes it unique.  Maybe, but I wouldn't want it to look like that if it were mine.  Not much can be done about it though, those imperfections in the leather show up after you have done your work and the stain/dye/antique just makes them stand out.  This is for a good friend, and he won't get charged much at all.  It is personalized, so I can't reclaim it as something else.  I will tell him if he doesn't like it, I will make another.  I am my own biggest critic.  It's probably like that with most people that create, build or make something with their hands.

I have also cut leather for the rifle bolt carrier.  I hope to dress this up more than is expected.  I want it to look much different than the ones he provided as a sample.  They were very plain, this one will have some tooling/scroll work and maybe even some lacing in a contrasting color instead of stitching.  If it looks good enough, maybe a few others can be made for some of his buddies at the range.  They won't get the same discount lol.

Happy Trails.

No comments: