Monday, January 5, 2015

Cold Challenged


Monday is supposed to be the coldest weather we have had this season.  We have barely been below freezing for a short time on just one day which is pretty unusual for the Texas Hill Country.  The weather know it alls are predicting 25* which may not sound like cold to you northern types, but for this part of Texas that is just dang cold.  I only go outside for a short time so Buster can do his thing.  He doesn't stay out long unless he gets a whiff of one of the cats that roam around here or a coon or possum has tracked through.

No other bad weather like ice of snow is predicted which is a good thing for us cold weather challenged. 


Started work on a 'minimalist' Ipad cover a friend wanted for his wife.  By minimalist, I mean it is a pretty simple design with not much tooling.  It actually is attached to the Ipad with Velcro only.  I had found the idea on Pinterest and was able to show that to the husband, he thought it was cool.  Anxious to see how it turns out and if it is something we can add to our inventory that has little overhead and mucho profit.  Other than tooling the leather there is not a lot of work involved.  The tooling can be as elaborate or simple as you can imagine.  That is what will drive the cost up.  So these could be personalized relatively easy.

I also need to make a bolt carrier for a friend that does long distance shooting competitions.  I assume they don't allow bolts in guns until on the firing line so they carry them in a pocket or a custom carrier.  He says there are a lot of competitors that carry their bolts in a separate pouch on their belt.  The only issue is getting it sized right.  He can't get the bolt to me to get it exact.  I gave him a choice of a couple bolted rifles I have and he says the 25.06 I have would be nearly perfect due to it's length.  I was more concerned about the thickness and form fitting it.  So I will make one that won't be 'formed' to that particular bolt.  I hadn't actually thought about the length that much and I should have since it will have a keeper strap that needs to fit pretty snug. 
 
I'll get pics posted as soon as these latest are done
 
I want to make a 'possibles' bag for myself.  I have an idea of what I want, just need to get the right kind of leather/fur.  There are kits available but they are to small.  I need to carry my insulin with me at certain times, and the case I have is a bit awkward.  I think a possibles bag like the old mountain men carried would work out pretty nice for that and not look like a purse lol. 

Happy Trails.

No comments: