Monday, January 26, 2015

Frozen


Don't worry, not gonna play that annoying song or sing it for you.

It has been pretty wet here since Thursday.  A couple areas just north of us had snow flurries.  Some places had just enough snow to cover the ground.  I was going to post a video of snow falling in Luckenbach, yes, it's a real place, not to far from me.  But there was no way for me to figure out how to get it on here as there was no URL and it wasn't on Utube.  So you get this instead:
 
 

We had almost 3 inches of rain total.  There was never a threat for freezing rain, just some light snow flurries in some areas, including where we are.  Saturday was bright and sunny, but also woke up to a light freeze that wasn't predicted.  We have a few tender plants we cover when we suspect a freeze.  Well, we didn't cover them and it froze.  Although a light freeze only 31*.  We had a lot of rain so I am thinking there won't be much permanent damage, at least not to the lower areas of the plants and certainly not the roots.   It will just require more work from me when it gets warm.  More pruning and cleanup of dead ends.  There is always some clean up anyway. 

Time to start thinking about my garden.  Started researching some soil to haul in for my small above ground plot.  Hope to find some soil that is really fertile.  Will supplement it with some compost also.  Only need about a 1/2 cubic yard.  That is about all I can haul in my little truck.  Probably all I want to move in a wheel barrow from the truck to the back of the house anyway. 

Have never been really successful with a garden where we live now and pretty much had given up ever having one again.  The major issue has been Tomato Blossom Rot.  Big ugly black rot on the bottom of my tomatoes.  Then learned something about it.  So I am going to give it another try and implement the new info.  Just have to figure out the amount/timing. 

The things I like to grow the most are tomatoes.  I think almost everyone that has a small garden grows them.  May have enough room for 6 plants and that would produce more than we could eat.  Just need to decide what else I want.  Probably yellow squash and some onions.  Not much room for anything else.  Squash takes up a lot or room.  Wanted to try some watermelon but that too takes a bit more room than I have.  Just need to convince Kim to learn canning.  That may be harder than working in the garden, if you know what I mean.

Then there are the rabbits.  They have made off with ornamental cabbage and Swiss Chard in the past.  I will probably plant some Marigolds to try and persuade them to stay out and maybe some netting over the entire garden.  I don't want to put in all that work and lose it to rabbits and birds.  As small as it will be they could devastate it pretty quickly.   

Happy Trails

No comments: