Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Cable and Cell phone providers


We recently went over to our cell phone provider to see if we could get some relief on our bill.  We have always had the cheapest plan they offered for two phones.  We found out that they had offered a newer plan that would save us 30$/month with no limit on voice time.  We got in trouble with that for the first time this last month with my surgery and everyone wanting to talk to Kim about it.  I even had more calls than usual.  So our bill tripled.   That was a shock let me tell you.

Kim is the only one that uses a smart phone and that is because she uses it for her business.  I find no use for a smart phone.  When I am away from the house I don't want to be bothered with all the internet etc. that they are used for.  I don't want to become that person that sits down for a meal and everyone is looking at their smart phones instead of the folks you are with.  We are losing the art of conversation and just visiting with people due to those things.  I also think it is rude to do that, I admit it, I'm old school.

I am really aggravated with the cable company, and myself.  Myself because I have gotten to attached to the convenience of cable.  Time Warner sent us a notice that they would be going up on their service again costing us an extra 10$/month.  Doesn't sound like much but they do this every year and eventually they have 10$/month enough that your bill is pretty high.  I read the things about big cable companies are in trouble and people are dropping them.  I figured I had some ammunition.  I just wanted a basic TV package and our current internet access.  They proceeded to tell me that I have so many discounts that any change to a lesser number of channels would only save me 15$/month.   If I didn't have those discounts my package would be over 200/month  (like thunder)  From well over a thousand channels to just 100 and all I would save is 15?  Of course they tried to sweet talk me into keeping what I have since it is such a good deal.  I told them that I would take the lesser package and would proceed to see what the other company has to offer.  I doubt it will be much if any but this is getting ridiculous.  My brother got aggravated with them too and went with a satellite provider, he still pays more then me.  My oldest son cut the cable over a year ago and they didn't grow horns or turn green.  They kept internet ( he works from home so needs that) and with that came some very basic channels that he doesn't get charged for, plus they use those other services like netflix etc.  I may decide to go that route also.  I just have to convince myself that the few shows I do watch are not that big a deal anyway.  I just can't stand much of what is on the big 3 networks as it is and what cable had offered was and escape from that.  I know I'm spoiled and just need to go cold turkey and quit cable lol.

These two businesses, cell phones and cable TV has become the biggest racket and probably one of the worst detriments to our society.  The way we have become addicted to them is just nuts.  Just my opinion.

Tried a bit of the venison ground meat as chili.  Only made one pound, a lot less then my normal amount of chili.  This was just a quick bit for lunch so didn't follow my usual process ( it's much to hot for Kim).  Not to bad at all except I went a little to heavy with the chili powder.  Don't usually make venison into chili since it is a sweeter meat than beef, but I had them add beef fat to the meat so I didn't notice the sweetness.  And my mistake with the chili powder hid any gamy flavor and probably the sweetness lol.

Next time it will be better.

Happy Trails

 

 

No comments: