Thursday, November 20, 2014

TBT #5

Throw back Thursday

Got a phone call from my cousin that I only see or talk to once or twice a year.  This is the second time in a month.  He calls to check on me since hearing about my cancer and has apparently been feeling very nostalgic about the days we shared with our grandparents.  He and I share many of the same memories.  I think about the old days a lot, almost to much according to the wife.  In my defense these were all good times with folks I love and I have always been very sentimental.  There are a few things different about how we remember certain things but not enough to argue over.  We focus on the good things and get a laugh or two. 

My Grandfather (we called him Granddaddy) was an avid hunter.  Mostly deer and raccoons.  He had a bunch of dogs we would trail at night hunting the raccoons walking miles and miles with just a lantern and a few flashlights.  We have a lot of good memories about those times with him.  He was a great and righteous man.  We both miss him very much.  Cancer took him to early.  He was not even 75 and had been very active as he got older.  It was devastating to watch him fade away.  Still chased his dogs while hunting raccoons at a late age. 

No one could ever tell a story like he could.  Just watching him tell them was a treat in itself as he would get so animated and even act things out at times.  He would make up his own songs while we were riding around with him, they made absolutely no sense but he made us laugh.  We drove all over the countryside helping sell watermelons out of the back of his truck, what a treat for us cousins to spend that time with him.  He got free labor out of that.  He didn't need the money had a good job, he just loved to make deals with folks and the 'art of the deal' was invented by him.

These next few photos will be in honor of him and the many great memories we have of him.

He is on the left. 


                                                                         Middle


                                                 He is on the left I am in center, circa 1975

 
With my youngest boy, circa 1981

 
At my brother's wedding, 1980, the cancer was taking it's toll.

 
My cousin says he can hardly wait to see him again, I have to agree.
 
Happy Trails

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

I can see the little smile, and I'll bet he was a piece of work...

Randy said...

you have no idea, his funeral was standing room only. The place that held it said they had never seen one with so many folks attending.