Monday, November 10, 2014

Grand Gift


My Granddaughter has told me how much she wanted a purse, just like her Nani's with the heart and her favorite color would be red.
 




 
I told her that one might get done for her...at Christmas.  She was delighted and didn't complain about the wait at all.  She made sure I knew it should be red, and with a heart. 

This was last Spring, maybe March or April.  I only made that one as a trial run.  If it turned out OK I would try and make a few more for Kim to sell at her event at the resort.  Kim decided she wanted this one for herself.  I guess it wasn't to bad.  Haven't made any others.  Need to order more leather if I was to make any more of those.

Since it was a first time, it was much more difficult than I anticipated.  I wanted the edges to look more finished, so I turned the gusset to the interior.  This would require stitching to be done from the inside.  Much more difficult than I had anticipated.  My hands aren't that nimble any more and the work space was very restricted for these meat hooks I have for hands.  So this would probably be a 'No Go' on future projects unless there was a special order, just not profitable enough for so much work.  Well, except for a very special Granddaughter. 
 
She is six, I didn't think they needed or even cared about purses at that age.  But she thinks she does, so I will start work on that today.  Hey, I had boys so I didn't know and am still learning the little girl thing, OK?  But since little girls are female they will most likely remain a mystery to me. 

This purse will be done a bit different.  I will use lace and a whip stitch to attach the gusset.  I'm thinking it should look pretty nice with the right lace.  Pics when I'm done. 

Happy Trails.

3 comments:

Terry and Linda said...

WOW! You are super talented!
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/?s=The+Adventures+of+Fuzzy+and+Boomer&submit=Search
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Randy said...

Thanks Ms. Linda, there is a lot of room for improvement lol

Old NFO said...

That is very nice work sir!