Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Venturing out


We ventured out yesterday.  First time in about a week of being mostly housebound due to illness.  I'm not counting my trip with the deer since Kim was at home for that.  We needed to get to the grocers badly.  We were running low on a lot of things and out on others.  Being housebound will do that.  Don't get me wrong, we have plenty of things on hand to get by for much longer, these were mostly things we could have done without but didn't want to wait, especially with the prospect of bad weather possibly forcing us to stay home even longer.  Kim had also committed to a demonstration of the leather and bead bracelets we create at a society she is an officer in.  It's next week and we needed supplies to provide items to demonstrate to 30 ladies.  So we made another trip to the leather supply store.  We are ready now in case the weather turns icy.  Plenty of food and things to occupy us.

Obviously we are feeling much better, but these trips took their toll on Kim.  She was pretty tired afterwards.  She had already spent time at the allergist that morning.  He gave her some meds to try, and if those didn't help she would get a prescription for others.  He also said he could cure her of her allergy to cedar in about 2 years by getting injections twice a month for that time period.  Sounds expensive but this will most likely be worth it since she suffers so badly.  More research is in order.

Remember my trip to the ER?  My insurance company has gotten the bill from the ER doc.  I have no idea how these people (ER doctor) arrive at their costs.   I was in the ER a total of 4 hours.  I saw the doc a total of maybe 5 minutes.  I know there was work he did that wasn't in my presence i.e. discussion with my surgeon on the phone, reviewing the CAT scan, checking test results.  But his bill was almost double what my surgeon charged and he actually worked on me for over 2 hours plus visits.  I believe a man is owed his due, but this seems exorbitant.   Will have a discussion with my friend(a doctor) that does ER duty and see what his take is.  No real idea what my insurance will cover or what my part will be.  Scary to think about right now with all the other bills still out.
 
Today marks 4 weeks to the day that my surgery was performed.  I'm doing really well.  Still issues with the urinary tract, but we knew that going in.  No real improvement.  Reading more material about that and they say to 'be patient' it could take as much as 18 months.  I can deal with that but hopefully there is a gradual improvement over that time.  It makes coming a going places very difficult and that gets frustrating not just for me but Kim too.  She likes to go places and with me being reluctant to go isn't good.  It could be worse.
 
Happy New Year and Happy Trails.

No comments: