Friday, December 19, 2014

Will you get what you want?


As most of us at this time of year we get wishes for a Merry Christmas.  Last night someone wished me a Merry Christmas that has been very supportive during my recent ordeal with surgery.  He then asked me what I wanted for Christmas.  I didn't have to think about that at all.  I told him I already got what I wanted.  He knew exactly what I meant.  The good news from the pathology report was all I wanted.  I truly feel this way.  Especially since Kim's mammogram came back normal also.

We ventured out to the leather supply store today and picked up a few items.  Now I can finish my Granddaughters purse today.  Also bought a side of leather, although it wasn't the quality I would normally buy it was a pretty nice side and it was 70$ cheaper than what I would have normally purchased.  I didn't have enough on hand to take any new business even though I have suspended orders until after Christmas.   One friend approached me about a cover for his wife's Ipad.  He wanted it for Christmas.  Not near enough time to complete something like that by then.  He said he would just put a note in a box for her saying she would get one when I could get to it LOL.  I think he is in big trouble.

Most folks don't realize how much work and time goes into something like hand tooled custom items made from scratch.  They want it, so just whip something out.


Like any hand made item there are several processes that must be done with leather.  Almost every step has a wait time that is at least 24 hours.  Cutting the leather to specific measurements, casing the leather (24hrs min,), carving and tooling,  oiling (24 hrs min), staining/dying/antiquing (24 hrs min), assembly, burnishing edges, stitching lacing, final finish (24 hrs. min.).  This is just a rough idea of what is involved.  This doesn't consider the design time or the size of the project or how extensive the tooling is.  I don't want to disappoint and not give them what they want.   But I won't cut corners to hurry it along.  If you cut corners it will look like you cut corners.  Most folks have no idea what goes into a handcrafted item and are often shocked at the time involved and also the price.  They know they can get a similar item off Amazon and maybe pay half the price, but those are never hand made, especially the leather items.  They are mass produced in a factory and are machine made.  Hard to compete with some of that.

It could always be worse.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

QUALITY takes time... They should be appreciative of that, rather than complain about the time...