Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Two Weeks Out

Wednesday is two weeks since my prostatectomy.  I feel much better than I expected, virtually pain free.  There are things that I am and will have to deal with for the foreseeable future.  My urinary tract is still a bit inflamed but gradually getting better.  With that I hope that bladder control will increase.  It has already somewhat.  Little strides is what seems to be the process as of now.  I'll take what I can get.  I am trying to be patient and make jokes about myself to Kim and have her rolling at times.  It's great to see her happier now, even at my own expense.  She has a spectacular smile and it comes to her face easily.  There is one other area that may or may not ever return, to both our dismay, due to this surgery, only time will tell.  I'll leave that part to your imagination.

One of the things the surgeon was suggesting to me that after 1 or 2 years with a 0 number on my PSA levels I might want to consider getting back on testosterone therapy.  I am taking a really cautious approach to that school of thought.  While there would be significant benefits to my quality of life, there are risks.  While it doesn't cause cancer, it is a steroid.  These synthetic steroids can and will make cancer cells go into high gear.  After having cancer, I am a bit more than worried that some random cancer cell might be hiding in there somewhere.  Do I really want to give it fuel for the benefits the hormones would give?  This is such a new area and all the research is pretty much in it's infancy with testosterone therapy.  Things to ponder at least while we deal with the immediate aftermath.

It could be worse.

Happy Trails.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Glad things are getting better!

Randy said...

Thank you sir, me too