Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Weather and Leather



Mom called me Monday evening.  She wanted to head over to the various banks on Tuesday that she does business with to get my brother and I added on their accounts in case of some unforeseen need.  I mentioned this a couple weeks ago.  She had to cancel our previous date due to her not feeling well enough after a fall she took while shopping.  The weather caught us by surprise.  I hadn't looked at any forecasts and assumed it would be a day like the balmy day Monday was.  WRONG!  Cold, wet and nasty. 

We met her at one of the banks and after about an hour we were finished there.  The next bank was a short distance away.  Finished there in about 15 minutes.  Bank of America could take some lessons from the second back it seems.  At that point it was about 11:30 and my brother and my Dad decided it was lunch time.  During the drive to lunch Mom decided it wasn't necessary for us to be on the other banks accounts.  Being beneficiaries was enough she said.  Not sure if the weather played into her modification of the plan but I think it did.  Fine by me, it saved the rest of the day from spending it trekking around to 3 more banks in the rainy cold.   So I headed home and sat in front of the TV. 

I did work on that knife scabbard for my cousin a bit.  It soaked up some oil, and today it will get glued together and have the holes punched for stitching.  The stitching most likely will happen Thursday and then wet forming it to the knife.  Not sure how that will go since this is a very thin knife with a very thin handle.  Not much there to form on.  I have used some scarp leather I had laying around.  If it turns out OK I will most likely just give this scabbard to him free of charge.  The leather is a little rough and since it is a new design I didn't want to mess up with more expensive leather.  Also had a chance to try out a new stamp I have.  It isn't real pretty.  Since it will be very utilitarian and he didn't want 'anything fancy,'  looks aren't a big deal.  It needs to work well and hold the knife secure while crawling through the South Texas Brush Country.  I guess you could say it's a test model.  In other words I am not at all pleased with the 'looks.'  My new stamp, I just didn't do a good job.  Normally this wouldn't see the light of day, I would keep it for myself to use.  But I need him to use this and tell me how it works in order to perfect the design. 

I still need to get started on the other wallets I need to make.  Time seems to have slipped past me this past week or so.  I need to get out of this funk.

Happy Trails

No comments: