Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Monday



Things started out really goofy.  We had an early lunch date with a niece and her family that was down here from Anchorage.  I was told we were going to meet them at 11:30 at a local burger place that had a playground so the little cousins could play together.  We show up first and……they are closed.  Who knew a burger place would be closed at lunch on a Monday.  Not long after the niece shows up and then my daughter and grandkids.  We start mulling around ideas and the main thing was that the little ones were promised a playground.   OOOOKaaaaay. 
 
There aren’t a lot of places near where we were like that.  Kim remembered there was a place out closer to our house that met the requirements.  However, the main highway was closed partially due to construction.  In order to avoid that and losing the niece in traffic, it was determined to use another road that would take us much farther out and then return via another road to get there.

Time was a factor.  The little ones needed to eat on schedule and then it would be nap time.  All this driving was messing with the short time we had.  We finally get to the other place, guess what.  Yeah, it’s closed too.  This despite saying, they are open on Monday on their website.  Now what?  Since we went so much farther out we are in an area where there are very limited places to eat, much less with a kid’s playground.  What to do?  We had passed a county park that has a great playground on the way.  I had commented maybe we should just go there and bring something to eat there as we passed it.

That is what happened.  We went to the county park.  Then the discussion on what to eat.  Domino’s Pizza won.  The daughter ordered from her phone and I ran to get it and cokes, and plates.  Not too long but all that running around sure cut into the visiting time.  But they got to visit a bit more while I was running the food errand.  It was nearly 1:00 and they had to be back on the road by 1:45. I could see some the frustration at everything, but it turned out pretty well.  We improvised, we conquered.

After sending them on their way we headed home to tackle all the Christmas decorations that were still up.  That took Kim much more time than usual.  She wanted to go through all of it and get rid of things she doesn’t use anymore.  I’m just the labor so I wait for her instructions.  I did get the lights etc. taken down and put away that were outside.

Tuesday, will be interesting.  Mom wants my brother and me to be added to their accounts at various banks.  A precaution in the event they are unable to write checks/pay bills.  We will have to go in person to be added to the various accounts.  5 banks in all.  None are near us.  I doubt any are close together.  I get to spend the entire day in town, in town traffic.  Yea.

Happy Trails

2 comments:

CenTexTim said...

"I’m just the labor so I wait for her instructions."

Sounds like my life... :-)

re: the banks - went through that with my parents and sister. Two thoughts:

1. Can you get a power of attorney over your parents affairs? It will be helpful down the road.

2. Any possibility of consolidating all those accounts? It would make things simpler.

Anyway, good luck...

Randy said...

You would have to know my mother. I don't know why they have so many accounts, probably lack of trust putting all their eggs in one basket sort of thing. They have always been very closed mouth about their finances, even to us. Power of attorney, hmmm, thanks I will mention that.