Thursday, March 15, 2018

Wednesday

I am usually about a day behind on this blog. 

This morning when I woke up I realized I have a doctor appointment next week.  They need me to have blood work done prior to the appointment, so I headed over as soon as I was ready.  They were packed, wall to wall.  It is a very big waiting room.  I would have guessed spring break had brought most of them in to avoid missing school.  Yet there wasn't one child.  I had to stand for about 15 minutes before the room cleared enough to allow me to sit.  The wait was longer than usual just for a blood draw.  All this without having had my breakfast or more importantly coffee.  I had to be fasting.  Not a good start to the day.  At least the traffic wasn't too bad.

I also woke up with a bit if a sore throat and a headache so I was guessing I might have contracted what K has now.  Yet I don't think it is that, more of the minor type sinus flare up I am experiencing more and more these days.  So all the ambitious plans I had today for the garden and other things just went out the window.  

I tried out a new recipe with some of the venison I had processed.  When I got the meat done most of it is ground meat.  They offer to add a little fat so it isn't so dry and hard to cook.  Venison is notoriously lean.  I had forgotten what ratio of fat I had added before.  So when they asked me a percentage I went with the 20% that I usually get with regular ground beef.  Yeah, I know but it tastes and cooks so much better than the 90-10 stuff.  They also asked me what type fat, pork, beef, or tallow.  What? Pork, in hamburger? Isn't that sausage?  I asked about the tallow since I don't have any experience with it.  They said it was a higher quality beef fat.  Well OK then, gimme 20% tallow.  I think I overdid it a bit.  The ground meat now looks much to fat and there is a LOT of grease now.  Much more than regular 80-20 ground beef.   SMH, it tastes fine, but the grease, sheesh.  I will most likely have to mix with some extremely lean beef to get it where I want it.  Lesson learned I guess.  Tallow seems to be even fatter than fat if that is even a thing.  At this point I think 5% would have been plenty.  They offered no help, my bad.  

Oh, and the new recipe just didn't 'pan' out very well since I was short a few items and subbed a few things.  Probably ruined that recipe for me now lol.

Missed another chance at one of the pesky squirrels.  They have ESP or something.  I hate those little tree rats.

Happy Trails


1 comment:

Old NFO said...

You need a Ghillie suit... :-) And docs are pushing more and more people through in shorter and shorter times, hence the longer lines. I'm seeing the same thing up here!