Tuesday, March 6, 2018

March 6, 1836-Day Thirteen-The Alamo

During the night, the Mexicans had ceased bombardment of the Alamo.  Even though there was eerie silence the garrison welcomed the silence after nearly constant cannonade.  Travis posted sentinels outside the fort to watch for any Mexican movement.  Succumbing to exhaustion Travis turns over watch to John Baugh after send John Allen as the last courier.  

After lying in wait several hours, around 5:30 AM the Mexican forces began moving toward the Alamo walls.  The sentinels posted outside the walls were killed in their sleep.  The soldados making the assault could withhold the jubilation on finally being released to attack and began shouting 'Viva Santa Ana!' 'Viva La Republica.'  This alerted John Baugh and he could see the columns already in musket range.

Thus began the final assault and the end of the Thirteen Days of Glory.  There is so much more detail regarding the final assault, Travis' death, Crocket's death, Jim Bowie's, the method and results of the various Mexican columns.  It goes on and on.





Earliest known photo circa 1849




If you care to read one of the best accounts of the Alamo and what went on there and the Military History of the Texas Revolution, I highly recommend Stephen L. Hardin's book, Texian Iliad.  I have found no other that comes close to comparing the amount of information contained therein.  Being a reader of Texas History most of my life, there are things in there I had never been aware of.  I was searching for information on one of my ancestors that had supposedly been a scout for Gen. Sam Houston.  He had received a bounty land warrant for service in the Texian Army.  No, I found no information there regarding that.  I do know he served in a cavalry unit organized in East Texas.  He does not appear on the rolls for San Jacinto.  He served in what was noted as the 'S' war.  I had never heard of this.  A knowledgeable friend told me it was the 'Shadow War.'  These were the troops that 'shadowed' the Mexican forces as they returned to Mexico after defeat at San Jacinto.  I find no written documents on this and the museum at San Jacinto never heard of it.  However I have a copy of that document of his land warrant.  My search continues.

Although there is much much more to come in the coming two months of 1836, I will not try to cover it like I did here.  If you are a Native Texan , or call yourself a Texan, it behooves you to know this history of this time.  It is what makes us different than any other state in the union.  No one can ever know, that isn't a Texan, why we have the pride we do. I can explain it to you, but can't help you understand it.  This history, this revolution, these men that sacrificed so much is the ROOT of that pride.

Texas Forever!  Remember the Alamo!  Remember Goliad!

I hope you have enjoyed this minimalist recounting of portion of the Texas Revolution.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Well done, sir! And thanks for the reference. I'll get it!