Saturday, October 31, 2015

And It Rained Some More



This rain 'event' snuck up on me.  I was aware we were supposed to get some rain but I didn't hear about how much or I just didn't pay  any attention.  We got a lot last weekend stretched over several days with most falling on Saturday.  This past Thursday night (actually Friday morning) we got more than was I able to measure.  My gauge was overflowing.  It measures up to 5 inches with about 1 inch above that that has no measurable marks.  We have indications from the weather guys of spots near us that got over 9 inches in about 3 hours.  That's a lot of water. 

We are OK, and for some reason my roof has not leaked that I can tell from either rain event.  I have no idea why there have been no leaks.  Last week the rain was slow and gentle with no wind.  So I assumed it was to slow of rain and without the wind pushing it under shingles was the reason it didn't leak.  That wasn't the case this time.  We had everything that event didn't have except hail.  Wind, tropical downpour, and from the direction that would have gotten under the shingles.  'Shrugs'  I don't know.  I assume it leaked some but not enough to get through where it was detectable.  Drips from the ceiling sort of thing.  I'll be glad when that roofer gets his other job finished and gets over here.

We are expecting more later today and into the evening.  There have been multiple reports of tornadoes in the area with damage that is isolated.  Nothing widespread thankfully.  I haven't heard about any high water rescues that usually happen with this type event.  Hopefully there won't be any.  I have a friend that is one of those men that do that rescue thing.  He always has more stories than you ever hear on the news.  So I am sure there were some.  I hope that the trick or treaters have to sense to not do anything stupid.

Doing yard work the other day I stirred up a few critters.  I saw a small snake slithering away from me and then there was this




What is that?  Mothra's uglier little brother? That thing was bigger than my fat fingers.  At least 4.5 inches long and way thicker than my fingers that my sons say are sausages.

Happy Trails

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Glad to hear the roof held up, and I have NO idea what that thing is! :-(

CenTexTim said...

Long term forecast calls for more rain next weekend - hopefully not as much. Looks like El Nino is here.