Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Dread

Today is a day I have been dreading somewhat.  I am supposed to meet my brother at my Mom and Dad's.  Mom wants us to come over and go through my Dad's tools and things and see what if any we want.  I don't anticipate there really being anything I want or need.  There shouldn't be any issues that I can foresee.  I don't intend to make any waves and just go with the flow.  I want to keep it as stress free for my Mom as possible.

I will take the opportunity to photograph/document my Dad's two guitars.  They are rather expensive with one being a well known antique.  Unfortunately neither my brother nor I play anything but the radio.  They have been in a bit of a quandary on what to do with them without offending anyone.  There are a couple grand-kids that do play a little, but gifting them without being able to gift all the grands the same value is a huge concern.  I think they should sell them if they are able and not have to worry about who gets what.  

I hate to see them leave the family as they have a lot of memories.  Even if my brother and I took them to be wall hangers I would feel uncomfortable having them.  I don't know the first thing about keeping a guitar in good shape much less a valued antique one.  I would feel horrible if it got ruined due to my lack of care/knowledge.  Someone that can and will use them regularly should have them.  I also think it would be difficult to sell something like that for what I have heard they have been appraised at.  All in all they are just things.  I need to try and keep my practical side in control of my sentimental side.

The good thing about all this is, we don't have to decide who gets what and they aren't here to see family enjoy it.  Most everything they have collected over 60+ years will be dispersed to family or sold.  This will be a good thing in the long run.  We won't have to decide these things under the stress of the passing of a loved one.  Is that selfish?  I don't mean to be, I want to avoid the things I saw with my in-laws passing.  I wouldn't anticipate that happening anyway.

Happy Trails.




2 comments:

CenTexTim said...

Not selfish. It's better to handle things this way than after a funeral. The times I've had to do that it felt a little ghoulish.

Randy said...

Agreed