Friday, September 25, 2015

What Would I Do Without Her



I know this may not be of much interest to the blog world, and I apologize for that.  However, I am putting this down for my own benefit as it helps me sort out things that have transpired and also helps me analyze/organize my thoughts.  This may happen more than usual over the next few days/weeks etc. until things settle down with my parents situation.

Things have kicked into high gear with my parents impending move to independent/assisted living.  Kim has headed over to my parents to start helping them(Mom) sort through things for their impending move to assisted living.  They put money down on a different place yesterday (Wednesday).  It will be available for move in on October 1st.  They have a contract to sell their house to my cousin already. 

These events have put even more stress on my Mom.  Did I tell you she is a worrier?  Yeah, that really doesn't describe it well.  She wants to go through boxes that are in the attic of their garage.  Mostly decorations for various seasons like christmas etc.  Why this is her priority right now neither Kim nor I can figure out.  She always has a plan, it makes sense to her.  We ore both of a mind that she should be looking at what she can take to their new quarters instead of what she wants to give away.  She wants to start moving in on the 1st.  My mother is very particular about how things look in her home.  I would think knowing what she wants to take with her would be the most important.  The rest can be sorted through once they have moved.  They will leave things at their house and dispose of it over the next few months.  They have until January, that is when they close on the house.  But if it goes against her 'plan' it will be a hard sell to get her to change her mind. 

They are also worried about leaving their house unattended for a couple months with so much still inside.  We will offer to take some if it into our home, the things they may be most worried about.  My Dad has a couple of very expensive old guitars he no longer plays.  I don't think that sort of thing should be left there for so long.  There are also other items they will give to family.  This will require us to also look for permanent space in our home and dispose of things to make room.

I am so thankful Kim is so willing to do this.  My presence isn't necessarily a good thing.  I do things the least complicated way, the way things make sense to me.  Even if I keep my mouth shut, my Mom is worried about what I am thinking.  Kim can relate better to her mindset than I do and obviously it is evident.  She is a blessing to my whole family.

Kim is going to Abilene after all.  She has considered staying due to the recent events.  She feels like she needs to stay and be there with Mom.  She has said she feels the clock ticking and going to Abilene may not be a good thing at this time.  I think she is still going as of this writing, but I will know more once she gets back from Mom's.

Happy Trails.


1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Doing the right thing, and the prudent thing aren't necessarily the same... For her to pick up and help is the 'right' thing. For you to stay away is the 'prudent' thing... Hope it all works out as desired!