Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Really Irritated



I have been trying to increase my exercise.  One of the things I have returned to doing is a walk in the morning.  I have taken Buster with me, he loves it, but gets much to excited at times and forgets his manners around other dogs.  I am not sure if he thinks he needs to protect me or what.  He tends to lunge and bark at them regardless of their actions, even those that ignore him.  There is this one yard that has three dogs that don't miss a chance to bark and growl and lunge at us through the fence.  I start telling him 'no' well before we reach that place, trying to get him to pay attention to my commands before we get there.  I tighten up on the leash and shorten the reach.  It's all to little avail.  Once he figures out he can't get over to the fence he turns toward me and will sometimes jump up on me in frustration.  Along with this he has nipped my T shirt on occasion and torn them.  The vet says that it is frustration and not aggression.

This had gotten bad enough in the past that we moved our walks over to a public park with less dogs.  That worked  sometimes, but not always.  I had reservations about taking him with me anyway due to this behavior.  But thought now that he is much older that maybe he has mellowed more and would be easier to manage.  Nope.  He actually seems worse. 

Today was the last straw.  As we approached the house with those zombie dogs he wants to eat, I could tell this time was different.  He was much more animated in his attempts to get to them.  The last couple times we went I had resorted to use of the handle of his retractable leash to push him down and lightly tap his nose to get his attention.  This time nothing worked.  He managed to clamp my arm briefly, but enough to draw significant blood.  My anger was nearly at it's peak.  No, I didn't kill him or even hurt him for that matter.  We returned home much quicker than usual.  I am still seething a bit.  Buster is pouting at the door to my office, I won't let him in.  I know he didn't intend to harm me, but I ain't letting that happen again.

He won't get any walks ever again.  It will drive him crazy when he sees me leave.  I will hear his mournful howls half way down the street.  I'll get over it.  Buster? he has no idea what he did if anything.

Maybe having just cats is better.  Nah.  But now I walk by myself, much more boring and less incentive to go.  Stupid dog.

Happy Trails.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Sorry to hear that sir. Dogs do have behavior issues, and maybe giving a trainer a call could get you some ideas on how to change his behavior.