Monday, September 21, 2015

Heavy Heart



The other day I posted in regard to things that have been going on with my parents.  The place Kim had taken them to look at turned out to be a great place.  My Mom loved it.  The costs were also less than the other candidate.  It is much closer to us and my brother.  We could be there much quicker than where they are now.  It would also be more convenient for more frequent visits. 

Kim was very pumped up about how my parents reacted to the tour.  Kim told them to go back and take a tour of the other place they liked before making a decision.   As it turns out, they went back and put money down on a place.  Mom plans to move in anywhere from 3-6 months.  She thinks it will take that long to sort through all the issues they have as far as disposing of their belongings they won't have room for.  They already have a buyer/renter for their house.  My cousin has told them for years she wanted to buy it when they moved.  She was over the other day measuring the rooms for her furniture.  I know she is excited about it, but that seems a little to forward to me.  I think this had a huge effect on my Mom.  I should probably keep my distance from her for the near future, I may say something that I would regret.

They have a lot of stuff.  Quite a bit a furniture.  Mom has talked about putting some in storage.  I hope they find a way to get rid of most of it without putting it in storage.  She has in the back of her mind that if they decide they don't like the new living arrangements she can always go back (if she rents the house) and she will have her stuff back.  That tells me she still has some strong reservations about this move.  She is afraid of what it will do to my Dad, he has seemed so resigned to this that it seems he is a bit depressed.  This move may do more harm than good in her eyes.

My heart is heavy.

Since I wrote this, my Mom has reconsidered, not moving, but looking at a couple more places.  She got very emotional when I spoke to her over the phone.  She is so worried about how this will affect my Dad.  His resignation to all this has her very concerned.  It is wearing her out.  

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Thoughts and prayers.

CenTexTim said...

Tough situation. It's hard to make that move, knowing in the back of your mind that it's the first step on a long downhill road. But the harsh reality is that things (health, ability to live independently, etc.) aren't going to get better.

To make matters worse, it's really hard on the kids when they have to take care of their parents ( I know from personal experience).

No easy answers... I second NFO.

Randy said...

Thanks fellas