Monday, September 14, 2015

Doctor's Appointment



Friday's doctor appointment went pretty well.  He confirmed what I already knew, no detectable cancer.  Before my surgery they gave me an info sheet on things to expect over the next 5 years, i.e. future doctor appointments, what they would do, and how long their monitoring would go on.  So far everything on that sheet has been different than the actual visits.  The told me I would come in every 6 months to check blood results and get the digital exam.  No, I don't know why they would need to do that.  This doctor evidently is more conservative in his views than that info sheet.  He says I will be coming in every 3 months for the next year or two, then that would decrease gradually, but would monitor me out to 10 years.  Every thing I had read up to this point that if you surpassed 5 years you would be considered a cancer survivor.  While I don't particularly look forward to another 10 years of visits, I can appreciate his caution and effort toe keep me alive.  And no, he didn't need the KY.  Not sure that luck will hold out and I ain't asking.

We also talked about resuming the hormone replacement therapy, you know the low 'T' that I have been experiencing.  I had considered just not doing it at all, not press my luck on giving any sleeping cancer cells to wake up.  I may be reconsidering that.  Why?  My energy, strength and stamina are just completely gone along with the other results of having practically 0 number for 'T.'  Not being able to complete fairly simple tasks or even have the desire to attempt them is beginning to wear on me.  There is a newer treatment that I may consider that is similar to how my insulin is administered.  Taht would be very tolerable compared to the other methods.

We did make it to the funeral of our dear friend after all.  Found out a few things we didn't know.  He was 92, and like so many of that generation he served in the Marine Corp during WWII, but we never knew that.  Very many of those vets never talked about their experiences.  One of the stories that came out about his service was that the mumps saved his life.  He and about 20 others got a case of the mumps and were sent to a hospital in New Zealand.  The rest of his unit was wiped out on some island somewhere.  He experienced more than his share of sadness in his lifetime.  He lost all his 3 children well before their time and also his wife much to early.  Yet I never saw him depressed or sad.  He had an abiding Faith in God and I am sure that is what sustained him.  His last years were spent under the cruel spell of dementia.  Charles R. Hood was a man.

Still haven't heard back from the roofer.  I will try to contact him soon.

Happy Trails.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Thoughts and prayers for the family, and we know he's gone to a better place now.