Saturday, August 1, 2015

Just Messin' Around

Tried to take a few photos of the coin rings I have been messin' around with.  It's a fun new hobby.  Click on the pic for a better view.  

The coins in these are as follows:  Kennedy Half, the wider one on the left in the first photo.  A couple of Texas 1845 State Quarters and whatever passes for a silver dollar these days, I can't even guess at what they are since they have a yellow cast to them.







Kim actually sold one last week at the resort.  I have given away a few also.  They aren't as good as I want them to be, still learning the tricks that work for me.  I still rub off too much of the impressions that are on the inside of the ring.  Look close you can see some of it.

I have to make a bunch of these in various sizes, since Kim can't take an order at the resort.  Right now I have a couple rolls of Texas State quarters uncirculated condition I got off Ebay.  The newer the coin the better the text is and is better looking.  I have about 5 rolls of other miscellaneous quarters also.  They are older and in worse condition, those are mostly the 'give-aways' and practice.

Happy Trails

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Those are neat! I do have a question though, does that count as defacing money? I seem to remember something under Title 18 Chapt 17 about that...

Randy said...

I was wondering when someone would ask me that question. I can't quote the law and won't try here. However, the places I have learned this 'hobby' have mentioned this and there have been discussions that I read. In short, everyone of the folks that I have learned from say 'No' it's not illegal and site a gov't. law. From what I can determine it comes down to whether you are 'fraudulently' doing it for gain. That seems to be the key word. I guess if they want to prosecute me for a quarter I may not have a good defense against Big Brother, especially with my politics. Now if they are monitoring me (since I am in their 'questionable' category) we may know sooner than later :D

Old NFO said...

Ah, understood, and no you're not trying to commit fraud with it. I see your point and I think you're probably (hopefully) right!