Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Can You Hear Me Now?

Went for the hearing test and see about getting some help for my hearing.  They wanted someone to come along that I 'listen' too regularly.  So Kim was elected, although she might have something to say about whether I listen to her at all if not regularly.

The test it pretty easy, although I guess I failed.  There was nothing in the results that surprised me.  Moderate to severe hearing loss in both ears with the right one being considerably worse.  

We chose this place due to an ad on TV.  You could come in for a free evaluation and try out a pair of hearing aids for 30 days that they were running trials on and if they worked for you then you could purchase them.  My insurance will cover some of the cost of hearing aids but it ain't a lot.  In fact, the ones they advertised would cost me less even without insurance.  As it turns out they were a network provider for hearing aids and my insurance will contribute to the cost.  

So they try a pair on me and after a few adjustments, I can hear pretty good.  At first it was horrible, tinny sounding, like the old string on a can thing.  The most disconcerting thing was hearing my own voice.  Now that was really strange.  After a bit, it even started sounding more normal.  They weren't at all uncomfortable and even became almost unnoticeable.  Oh, they are the kind that fit behind your ear. 

Here's where the catch comes in.  They tried me with a pair they said would work best for my condition.  Of course it was the top of the line model.  Way beyond what I want to pay.  Which I expected, I guess it could be a bait and switch thing.  The one they advertised is a very very basic model.  They do have two less costly versions of that model which with the insurance contribution they are closer to affordable.  Still dang expensive, especially for something so small.  

Taking a little time to decide how we want to go.  Kim wants to move forward with obtaining them.  Now I have to get an approval or prescription from my PCP in order for the insurance to kick in.  Getting that is a PITB dealing with that doctors office. 

Now it's over to Costco and see what they have to say.  Checked their prices and even without insurance I could get a pair that are significantly cheaper.  I could still submit a claim but I haven't been successful in the past.  If they work anywhere near the ones I tried we may go with them.

I had been hesitant considering hearing aids due to seeing how my grandparents reacted to their hearing aids many years ago.  They would get pretty disgusted at times and it didn't seem like they could hear any better at all.  Yes, the technology has made great strides and things are evidently much better.  I guess it's gonna happen.

Today I head over to get some blood drawn for another post surgical follow-up and prostate cancer screening.  The actual doctor appointment was to be next week.  Evidently they screwed that up and it has now been moved to September.  I don't anticipate any issues.  It's one of those things I have to do every 6 months or so for the next 5 years to be considered a cancer survivor.  No biggie.

BTW, please get your prostate checked regular, and ladies get your man to go regardless of the griping you may hear from him.  This could save your/his life.

Happy Trails




No comments: