Wednesday, April 8, 2015

What the.....



I am trying to be completely organic with my garden.  This means No pesticides to keep the pests from enjoying the fruit of my labors.  My garden guru has told me that since he went entirely organic, he has less of a pest problem than he had previously.  The only thing he uses is liquid seaweed sprayed on the plants.

As it so happens I noticed that my tomato plants were missing most of the blooms they had sprouted. 




Not sure you can see it, top left quadrant.

Cut right off, could have done better with scissors.  I had spayed once when I noticed my cilantro/parsley had some chewing done to them.  Not good, not good at all.  Will try spraying more often, maybe everyday.  Then maybe a visit with my guru to see what he has to say.  Unfortunately my new air rifle I got for pests won't help one bit for this.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, Spring time in the Texas Hill Country is just spectacular.  What with the annual display of natures grandeur with the multitude of wild flowers that populate the State.  

The Texas Star part of the Bluebonnet





 
There is even a program to seed the more traveled roadways i.e. interstates with native wild flower seeds that entice visitors from other regions to travel here. 

I have only one minor complaint about this time of year.  Our Oak Trees.  I love them, but for about a month or more they are a major PITA.  Early Spring is the time they lose their leaves, not Fall.  They are never completely denuded.  New growth starts immediately.  These leaves are everywhere.  They aren't as easy to pick up as other leaves as they lay very flat.  You can never get everyone of them up.  Then there is the pollen.  Oh the pollen.  My black truck takes on an iridescent yellow green glow for about two weeks.  Then the tassels start to fall.  


Depending on the type Oak you have, you can have a couple inches of tassels on the ground.  We don't have those kind but we have a quite a bit.  They stick to Buster, especially the long hair on his paws.  Did I tell you he is an 'inside' dog most of the time.  Yeah, it's a mess, when he forgets to wipe his paws.



Happy Trails.

1 comment:

CenTexTim said...

We have two long-haired dogs who are like velcro when it comes to picking up oak pollen and bringing it in the house. I don't know how it works, but the stuff sticks to them when they're outside and drops off as soon as they come inside.