Friday, April 3, 2015

Figured it out



Finally got some time alone to try to get my new air rifle figured out.  Since I shoot in my own yard I like to wait until most everyone is at work so I don't alarm them.  If they see this rifle it might concern them a bit.  It doesn't look like any normal air rifle. 

 
Since it is pretty powerful too it has a bit of a report to go along with it's looks.  Better to be discreet than have a concerned neighbor calling the sheriff on the nut shooting everything in the neighborhood.

If you remember I was having a difficult time aiming that thing with the scope.  As it turns out, the mounting rings are a bit more finicky than I noticed the first time.  Once I got that figured out it was just a matter of taking enough time to get the scope zeroed.  It was way off when I started due to the mounts but also the X-hairs were pretty far off also.


Since I was shooting at only about 17 yards it took quite a few clicks as opposed to say 100 yards.  Each click was a 1/4" @ 100.  So I was at about 1/16 or less at the distance I was shooting.

I feel much better about this rifle now that I got that scope figured out than I did the first day.  At that time I was pretty bummed.  Now I just am itching at the chance to see one of the pesky tree rats in or near my garden.   

I will get some high end precision pellets of different types to see if that improves my aim even more.  Did you know they even make hollow point pellets?  Then there are alloy ones that increase the speed by as much as 200 fps as opposed to the lead.

Fun Times.