Friday, April 24, 2015

Done

All of this months doctor appointments are done, over, finis.  Just the usual follow ups in the near future are required.  

Nothing was found that should give any concern at any of the visits this month.  Just have to await the latest blood tests from my PCP annual.  We don't expect anything.  The PCP did not preform the digital test that all men hate.  A bit of a silver lining in not having a prostate any more.  He said I had had more than my share of those.

On that note, I just read an article about the PSA test.  Some doctors are questioning the need for it.  The school of thought is that it has caused a rise in unnecessary procedures and concerns regarding prostate cancer.  From my perspective, it was good that we proceeded with surgery.  The cancer was more aggressive than suspected or that the biopsy indicated.  Most of my experience had gone against what the doctors expected.  It turns out, that taking the more aggressive approach to my cancer was the right choice.

Everyone is different and age is one of the things to consider when making this decision.  For me, I wouldn't have been at all comfortable knowing there were cancer cells in me regardless what the doctors told me about my future.  I want to be around as long as I can be.

I can't give you advice on how to proceed with your concerns if you have any.  Peace of mind was my biggest concern.  Talk to your doctor, research on your own.  You are your own best advocate where your health is concerned.  Get informed.


1 comment:

Old NFO said...

That last says it all! It IS up to us to be our own advocates!