Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Spring finally



It looks like we are pretty much done with the threat of anymore freezing weather.  There is an old adage about the red Bud trees, when they bloom , you know Spring is here. 

But I have learned over the years that the Red Buds out here start earlier than most anything else.  They get frozen most every year.  First sign of warm weather that comes in February seems to get them going.   

There is a similar saying about the Mesquite Tree. 


That one has almost never failed from my observation.  They are generally very late to bloom.  Everyone in Texas starts looking for Bluebonnets on the side of the road as soon as it starts getting warm.   



It's a Texas thing, our State Flower.  
 

Saw several patches yesterday to the South of us in town.  That prompted me to check out my yard where I have managed to get a patch established over the years.  Found several buds that are just short of blooming. 


In the last few years we have had a pretty prolific crop.  I usually notice them greening up around the first of January.  This year there are not near as many as we have had in the past, less than half.  What a huge disappointment.  I just love having those growing wild in the yard.  

They are very susceptible to fall rains, mainly in October.  The more the better.  We had some very heavy rain in late October.  Maybe it was too late.  I don't know.  Next year more seed will be spread.  Haven't had to do that in quite some time.  Every year everyone starts wondering how the crop of Bluebonnets will look across the State, whether it will be a spectacular year or not.  It has been hit and miss the last 5 years with the continuous drought conditions we have been experiencing.  We got more than our share of rain in this area of the State this last year so I expected great things.  No idea why it seems to be shaping up bad.  We have had some great years the last 3 years in my yard and the rest of the State, at least the areas we travel, have been pretty bad.  They can't seem to decide to get their act together for some reason.  It's like trying to understand a woman at times. 

Ladies, don't get twisted, it's just man thing.  We fail miserably trying to figure you out.

Happy Trails

2 comments:

CenTexTim said...

Mesquite trees have always worked for me.

I've heard reports that this is supposed to be a good year for Bluebonnets. Hope that's right.

Randy said...

I hope so too