Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Results

The new air rifle arrived as scheduled.  First off, I have never mounted and sighted in a scope.  First try tells me it will not be as easy as I thought.  I have rarely ever used a scope anyway.  First try without the scope things looked odd due to my glasses.  The sights are clear the target isn't.  Tried with the scope and also have some issues seeing correctly with the glasses.  One issue that has always been a problem for me is I am left eye dominant and right handed.  I can shoot a handgun with either hand pretty fair.  I didn't spend a lot of time with it first try.  Getting adjusted to the sight picture is something I will need to spend a little more time with.  Then Kim tried it, yup, she did much better and was using her dominant eye and left hand even though she is right handed.  Why didn't I think of that?  Sheesh.

The shooting location will need some work instead of the awkward position I was in that's for sure.  Sandbags are a need.  Need a better target than the piece of plywood that it was blowing through and a MUCH better rest location/situation.

Yes, it does sound like I am making excuses, I really stunk it up as far as the few shots I took, only 5.  Will shoot more when I get a decent target set up and a place to shoot from.  From what I have been reading, there will be a break in period for the rifle before it hits it's stride.  Anywhere from 50-250 rounds from the other reviews I have read. 
Did I mention sighting the scope is a pain?  I know I have never been much of a shot anyway, never had any real instruction, so every thing I know I learned from trial and error and reading.  I don't shoot every much anyway.  The dang target kept moving when I looked through the scope.  This rifle was also an attempt to get more practice using a rifle and scope.  I admit it, I suck with a rifle, it's been to many years of not hunting anymore and it shows.  It is certainly true, use it or lose it where shooting comes in.

It will be fun anyway.

My friends surgery went pretty well.  It lasted much longer than we were told, by two hours.  Hopefully this will get her fixed up and she will have a great life.  She is one of the most positive and sweet people I have ever met.  She deserves it.

Happy Trails.

3 comments:

CenTexTim said...

Try these for sandbags. I have a similar set and really like them.

http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Deadshot-Shooting-Bag-Combo/dp/B002APAWY2

CenTexTim said...

And glad your friend's surgery went well.

Randy said...

Those look really nice, added them to my wishlist for sure. Thanks