Wednesday, March 11, 2015

OK

I'm OK, sorry for the cryptic post previously.  Just needed to get my head cleared a bit.

We finally made it to our tax preparer Tuesday.  He had postponed us due to and deadline he had to meet.  No big deal as long as we get them in prior to the deadline.  Hoping for a better turn out from previous years, at least we should be paying much less as business has really fallen off this past year.  It was a good visit.  As I mentioned before we have very similar political outlooks so we solved even more world problems than before.  It's just that no one is listening to us.

I fret over deadlines, always have.  In 34+ years at my place of work, I don't recall ever missing one and we had them ALL the time.  It is something I prided myself on.  Well there was one now that I think about it, very traumatic for me.  The work got done in plenty of time, it just got buried in the stack and got overlooked, until to late.  

It was very common to miss deadlines in my line of work but with my mind set I just couldn't let that happen to something I was responsible for, no matter the importance.  It's just how my mind works.  I would have tortured myself more if I missed one than the actual work it took to meet one.  Some may say it's an OCD thing.  For me it was pride in the product of my labors.  Those that worked with me would roll their eyes quite a bit when I pointed out details that needed to be addressed or corrected.  Most were little things, but it is a reflection of me and the job i did, is how I looked at it. 

People used our product to conduct their jobs.  I didn't want to make their job more difficult due to a lack of information or detail.  It was my job to make sure they could get the job done as quickly and easily as possible using our product.  A product that was as near perfect as possible made the job easier for us all in the long run.  Our product had the ability to affect safety of others.  Why do something that was just 'good enough?'  Why would you want your signature on crap and have others know it?  I have had a hard time not being critical of what I see out there now that I have retired.  I am getting better.

Happy Trails.

No comments: