Saturday, February 28, 2015

Project

Remember all the projects I was worried about and trying to get done prior to my surgery?  Well I missed one.  Yes, and it was one that should not have been missed.  I have a piece of siding around a window that is blistering, actually I am pretty sure it's rotten.


It's much worse than it looks here.  It collapses quite a bit to touch.  And it appears that the entire sheet encompasses the entire window.  It couldn't be just one side of it, oh no.

Evidently the widow didn't get caulked well enough and water has done it's work.  When I found it I caulked it up pretty good, but time has done it's work and it's just not going to keep.  Gotta get that done since we seem to have moved into a wetter time this past year.  This house was built using staples, big, long, ugly, nasty staples.  They just don't come out like nails do.  It will be a mess removing the siding.  The foam board underneath will also be a total loss.  I suspect the trim around the window can't be salvaged either.  Just another expense we really don't need right now.  I may even put this off another month or two to get past the financial issues we are having with Kim's job and other surgery expenses.  Not complaining, just thinking out loud so to speak.

A friend offered to help when I was talking about the things I needed to do around here.  He is a handyman so he knows his stuff.  Not a big project, at least I think it's not, but it will make the job go faster and he will catch things I won't know about.  Not to mention just hanging out with a friend.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Yep, the 'downside' of home ownership. But spending time with a friend, and working together makes it go faster and you'll pick up a tip or two from him.