Friday, February 6, 2015

Clearing Out


Since the rain is preventing me from getting out and making an attempt at getting a garden started, I got a wild hair and started cleaning out a closet in my office.  It's full of stuff I don't see very often so I think weeding it out to make room for another idea is the thing to do.  It has some old photos, genealogy records, little used coats, some hunting gear, an old computer, computer peripherals and various outdated software I just never disposed of. 

The idea I have is to have a small storage closet for some items that don't get used very often but could be a critical piece of equipment.  We have a serious shortage of closet space so this will be a trial to get it right.   

The wife and I have been learning more and more about 'prepping, readiness, self sufficiency' whatever you might want to call it.  We have never in all our years even considered this sort of thing.  Our outlook changed significantly once we got the current occupier of the People's House and he started doing things that caused serious concern. 


First off, the financial markets are very concerning for us.  We have no real stake in that, but we understand what could happen if our economy were to go in the tank.  Also with 'his' leanings toward that religion of nopeace and importing muslim brotherhood members into his administration was another.  The more I learn about them, the less trust I have, aw who am I kidding, I have absolutely NO trust in anything they could say.  I don't want to debate about it, I have my reasons, and I will just keep those to myself.


We decided to start collecting extra things that we would need in the event of something catastrophic.  Yes, we even bought things we never would have before due to our concerns.  I read enough blogs of people that go much farther than we do, but I glean ideas and info from them that I think is prudent.  We don't have much at all, but we could get by for a while.  The one thing I have changed my mind on is a 'bug out bag.'  My thought process evolves with the more I learn.  I had previously never considered such.  We were going to hunker down and keep a low profile.  But, in the event of a fire or other event that destroys our hidey hole, we wouldn't do to well.  So bug out bags are being developed. 

I wish my stores looked like this but we aren't even close.


So I chose the closet in my office to be our emergency closet.  Still quite a bit to do, those that have been doing this may even laugh if you saw it and the contents.  But, it's a start for people that are entirely new to this sort of thing.  I'm sure there are a lot of things we aren't doing right or would be criticized by those that are experts at this.  But, like I said, we aren't any where close to being full bore preppers by any means.  In fact, I had reservations about even putting this out there.  Not very good for OPSEC.  We have discussed things with our sons/family and not surprisingly, they also have some of the same concerns but not on the level we have.  We have plans that include them.
Right now the 'bug out' bags are my main concern.  Developing a list of items that we should consider as necessary is where I'm at.  It is a hair pulling process for me as I add and eliminate various items.  One things for sure, meds that need to go won't last as long as usual as they need refrigeration.  Just another issue to deal with.  This just may make me crazy lol.
Happy Trails

2 comments:

Terry and Linda said...

We are very concerned also. With oil crashing and Greece crashing.....

Linda ❤⊱彡
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
https://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/sherlock-boomer

Randy said...

Yes, I love the advantage you have of being on a farm, having the ability to raise your own food without others telling you that you can't due to deed restrictions like ours, and more isolation from nosey folks.