Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Garden



Remember my garden?


Yes, it's small I know.  I have visions of this





I expect it will look more like this




I figure it's time to get started on it.  Of course today it's raining.  So I have been doing more research and asking my garden expert friend questions.  He may be getting tired or the questions, he loaned me three books to read LOL.  I did find the organic fertilizer I he suggested and for a price 11$/bag less than any other place.  Woohoo. 

As you can see by the photo, I will be hauling in some soil.  I will haul it myself since it such a small amount.  There isn't any lack of places that I can get it from but they aren't close.  My pick up is small, a Ford Ranger and a step side at that.  I don't want to haul it to far, heavy load + small pick up + high speed highway = don't want to.  I can go back roads and avoid the highways but I may make 2 trips.  One for soil and one for compost.

Anyway, with all the rain we have had, and again today, any soil would be soaking wet.  Wet = heavier load.  Not good for several reasons.  Mainly I don't want to buy a lot of water, that would be present in the soil.  I'll need to wait for a dry period, delaying getting this thing started.  I guess I should read those books while I wait.

I foresee a lot of labor in my future.  Something I have gotten used to avoiding the older I get.  Why am I doing this to myself I keep asking?  I can never give a good answer but I'm still determined to do it anyway.  Yes, I have been accused of being nuts/crazy.  I could come up with some sort of rationalization I'm sure.  One thing I am certain of, this sort of labor will cause results I am not fond of since my surgery.  Things will get squeezed and pushed with that sort of labor and the results...well not having a prostate, something that helps close things off, I'm sure you get the picture.  At least I am at home and not in public lol.   

Happy Trails

No comments: