Saturday, February 14, 2015

Distressed



Not what your probably thinking.

I have been researching a way to produce leather items with the distressed leather look.  I really like that look.  Will be trying out a few techniques.  If I get it right I will have what I want for a possibles bag that I have been considering making for myself.  Mostly to carry around my meds and such.  I have to be careful, I don't want it mistaken for a purse lol.  I could handle any teasing from friends, it's just, well you know.....

I want it to look something like this


Took a couple scraps of leather to test my coloring start off with



This is the first try, some scuffing with sandpaper and then airbrushing with medium brown. 




 Not what I was expecting.  Will scuff this piece with more sandpaper.  I really think I will need to use light brown and then use antique to bring out the highlights.  That should bring out the scuffing more.  Maybe some scuffing after staining is in order.  I will need to add resist prior to the antique.

Still more research is needed.  I think the final solution will be scuffing/distressing after a light coat of stain and then antique. 

These are light brown and red scuffed after stain then with resist and then a coat of antique


Pretty sure the one on top is pretty close to what I want.  The red is for another possible project.  It will be revealed sometime next week after completion.

Never used this type antique before.  Had to order it online since my local supplier doesn't carry it.  I have been wanting to try it for some time.  It will really work well in tooled pieces.  It should make the tooling (stamping) really stand out more.  At least I hope so.

Happy Trails


1 comment:

Old NFO said...

That one on top looks nice! Good luck with the antiquing/distressing...