Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Finally!



The weather started clearing and warmed quite a bit Sunday, even though it had started out rather soggy and foggy in the morning.  I even rode with the window down on my truck on the way to church Sunday evening.  They are predicting it will be spring like all week.  I have been anxious to get out and get started prepping the garden.  As it turned out the weather guys were right about Monday.  So I got out there relatively early to get started.

First order was to cut back the black plastic I had put down late last summer.



I used that to kill all the grasses that were in place instead of trying to remove them all by hand.  I just HATE pulling weeds.  It worked pretty well, all I had to do was rake most of it out.

Then I dug some shallow holes where my tomato plants will be located.  


I put them on the north end of the plot so when they get taller they wont' block the sun from whatever else I decide to grow.  But that may not be so good either when it gets really hot and everything starts to die.  It got so hot here early last year that my tomatoes had trouble even setting fruit.  I think a sun shade screen will be added to the garden later in the summer to try to prolong production.

The holes I dug for the tomato plants got some paper cups that will hold the organic fertilizer.  My garden guru assures me this it the way to go.  I know it works in spades for him.  


Covered the holes back up and added a semi-permeable weed barrier.  It won't stop all the grasses from growing up through it but it will be enough to keep my happy.  Did I mention I HATE pulling weeds/grass.



I think Wednesday I will make a trip to pick up the soil I plan to use.  I'm hoping it will have dried out enough that I am not hauling a heavier load caused by all the rain.  I am pretty sure I will have to make two trips.  The second for compost.  Some for the garden and the rest for other places in the yard and various plants that need help.

And it didn't wear me out as bad as I thought it would.  Wednesday will be the real test lol.  Getting old ain't for pansies.

Happy Trails.

2 comments:

CenTexTim said...

I'm sure you're smart enough to know this, but FWIW my father always said don't put your tomatoes in the ground until after St. Patrick's Day. He started them in coffee cans before then, so he could put them in the garage when those late season freezes hit.

Randy said...

Oh they won't go in the ground yet. Just getting things ready to go.