Tuesday, January 1, 2019

I Knew Better

A little late with this post.  Have been a bit busy with various things so haven't really had a chance to get back on here.  I went to the gun range the other day with Son#2 and his Father-in-Law.  We only did handguns.  My first time in an indoor range.  Not sure I like it that much.  Even with hearing protection, those two guys trying out there new AR, were very very loud.  I guess the enclosed space just added to it's already loud report.  I found it very annoying.

I haven't gone to shoot in over three year as far as I can remember.  Yes, I know skills erode.  I usually go maybe once or twice a year.  I took my 1911 amd my cz 82.  I Wanted to shoot my 1911 the most as the last time I shot it I didn't shoot it real well.  This time I shot it much better grouping all of the first two mags in the red.  Let me add the the red was about 3"x 6" at about 20'.  Things went downhill from there.  I was having issues with my grip and the beaver tail was biting me on some recoils.  


I finally figured out the grip and what I was doing wrong.  See, I really should go to the range more.  Then I noticed my hand was shaking more on each successive mag.  Making it harder to acquire the target.  So the groups were getting pretty spread out.  I switched to my CZ 82 and was all over the place.  Embarrassingly bad.  I was getting to a point I was disgusted with myself and getting in the frame of mind to leave before everyone was ready.  Then I got a squib on the CZ, my first ever.  The shot cleared and I shot again and got a stove pipe jam.  This all just added to my frame of mind.  While I tried to remove my jam I let Son # 2 use the 1911.  He got a jam too.  What the...It took some extraordinary measures to remove that stove pipe jam from the CZ.  It was wedged so tight I couldn't move the slide at all.  I got it home and tried a little more forceful persuasion and it just would budge.  I compared it with my other CZ and I could see that the jammed slide we about a 1/4 inch farther back than it should be in full eject.  No idea how that happened.  I can't even field strip it at this point.  A friend told me it may be the ejector rod is still sticking up.  Not something I want to mess with.


So this one will be heading to the gunsmith for a onceover, as long as it doesn't cost too much.  I didn't pay a lot for it, but it is easier to carry than my 1911.  SMH

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Ouch, in more ways than one... That CZ is definitely screwed up. Gunsmith is the right way.