Thursday, January 3, 2019

National Museum of the Pacific War

I made the trip to Fredericksburg Texas New Year's eve.  I didn't realize it was that particular day or I may not have gone due to the hordes that go to that little tourist town on weekends and holidays.  It can get pretty crowded being as close to two major cities.  But Son #2's Father-in-Law was in town as I have mentioned before and he has very similar interests to mine.  I had promised to take him last year and that didn't happen due to my surgery.  I didn't want to disappoint again.  I also found out I was correct about how much stamina I have.  There is a LOT of reading and standing that must be done unless all you want to do is look at artifacts.  I can pretty much guess that most want to read as much as possible, like I do.  So the standing and not moving can really take a toll on my back.  And it did.  I was ready to quit about 2.5 hours in.  We were getting close to the end by that time by cutting down the reading time.  I hadn't been in maybe 15 years and there is much much more there now than then.  So, if you get a chance to go this great museum, try to schedule it on a day you can spend more time.  The pass they sell is good for 48 hours.  If you are staying there, you can go back the next day and finish up and not be rushed.  I highly recommend a trip there if you are looking for something to do in that area.  If you go at a busy time, be prepared for folks that don't seem to see you and have no problem standing in front of you while you read or watch the video clips.  I just walk off shaking my head.  Oh, and it would be great if they had more places to sit along the way for us that have back issues.

Here are a few pics I took with  my phone.  Oh and I had no phone service while inside for some reason.  So be aware of that also if you need your phone.  Be sure to click on each pic for a larger version so you can see it better.

This is/was the Nimitz Hotel that has become the museum and is only a small part.  It was founded by Admiral Chester Nimitz' Grandfather.  


Admiral Nimitz Principles of War-thought this was pretty cool


Yes, they have a B-25 inside the museum-just not enough light to show up well


Admiral Nimitz personal Hi-Power-they don't say if he carried it in the war


I don't remember what this one was-sorry


A Stuart Tank that took some fire with a video of what happened


Bofars


Japanese Sea Plane-A zero that floats basically-again I don't recall the actual name


A recovered Japanese 'Val'


Submarine Conning Tower From WW2


Admiral's Launch



TBM Avenger


Same


I thought I got some photos of the PT Boat they have.  It is only one of two that still exist.  This one served in the Mediterranean.  I wasn't aware they were used there, so I learned something new.  There are a lot of other artifacts than I have shown.  One really cool thing is they have a few places where you can listen to recordings of the remembrances of survivors. 

Hope you get a chance to go.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

It's a fantastic museum! A friend of mine was the one that curated a lot of the photos and displays you saw. We spent about six hours the day he showed me around, and that was 'quick'. I do want to go back again!