Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Hens Gathering

February 1 is the due date for our next Grandchild, a little girl.  The Mother's parents live in AZ.  Grandmother from AZ arrived Tuesday evening.  She will be here through the birth.  Granddad will arrive sometime this weekend.  I don't know how long they will stay.  Since we are here and will have access pretty much when we want it, we will try to leave them with the new baby for their entire visit with them having to share her with us.  Since they won't get to see her as often, we hope to let them get as much time with her as they can.  So we will try to stay out of the way while they are here.  This will be their first Grandchild.  

K has been over there helping get the baby's room set up several times over the last month or so.  She is over there today with the other Grandmother working on a craft project for the baby's room.  The brood hens are gathering and getting it all prepared.  The excitement is building in anticipation of the arrival.  Many prayers are being offered for the new parents and the child.  Their life will change dramatically.  Son#2 is mostly aware of this and he is freaking out a bit.  We just laugh to ourselves.  

I've got a few things on my plate coming up and they all cost $$.  We have been putting off needed repairs to the house and a washing machine waiting for our SSI to start.  Painting the outside of the house along with some siding repair.  I have 50 oak trees and they have tons of ball moss and some need to be trimmed away from the house.  I usually handle this myself, I'm just not able anymore so I will have that done too.  I need to get some new glasses so I can see.  I've been putting that off for almost a year and now it is becoming an issue.  So new glasses will come first.  Washing machine second.  I can wait a little longer on the others.  

I had to call SSI to find out why I hadn't heard anything, no approval, no questions like the website said would probably happen.  They called K the same week she applied.  They put me in touch with the local office and I actually got through with a very short wait.  They said I was approved and I should receive a letter stating so and the amount and date it would start shortly.  FYI, when you apply online they ask you to check the box for the month you want your SSI to start.  My first available option was February.  I chose that.  The first check won't arrive until March, late march.  They say to apply 3 months ahead of when you want it to start.  I did, that would make Feb 1, 3 months.  They say nothing on the website of paying in arrears.  But they do, and that would make it March 1.  Oh but how wrong I was about that too.  The end of March is when it will arrive.  Basically 5 months from the day I applied before I get the first one.  Feds, smh.  

Happy Trails


1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Good luck with the baby, and I think you're doing the right thing by letting the other GPs maximize the time with them. Re SS, it takes a while, but I 'think' they back pay if they run a month or more late. I think...