Friday, November 18, 2016

No Photos

We did take a quick trip into the hill country Thursday after all.  However it was quicker than usual and there just wasn't much 'color' in any trees to make for pleasant photos.  It was a dud of a trip due to other factors also.  

Friday we were supposed to have a strong cold front move in.  It did, around Noon, with some wind and temps dropped about 10-15 degrees.  It was already in the 80's.  They are predicting lows of 34* by Sunday morning.  Unless this cold front is packing more strength that hasn't quite arrived, I don't believe it will happen.  Either way, it's still nice to have some cooler drier air that is already here.  I will most likely get out my roll of plastic sheeting and cover the tomato plants to try and induce the current crop to ripen.  Tomatoes stop the ripening process at 50*.  The clear plastic will act as a mini greenhouse and allow some more of them to get ripe before any freeze shows up.  

We usually have Thanksgiving lunch at our house with our kids, grandkids and my parents.  The same will happen this year Lord willing.  I have wanted to fry our turkey in the past, but the wife has better sense than me about it.  We would only use it once a year and then it would sit, in the way most likely.  The expense for something like that just doesn't work out.  I have tried to get others to go together and fry a bunch of turkeys all at once and split the cost of the oil etc.  No dice.  So I have decided to buy two turkeys this year and I will try to smoke one while Kim bakes the other.  I have never smoked a turkey, so we will have a back up in case it goes wrong.  I have smoked a lot of meat in my life and after these many years I have perfected my technique.  This is a whole different game. I hope it works out great since smoked turkey tastes soooo much better IMO.  The store had a free turkey if you bought a spiral cut ham.  That's the one I will use to smoke.  Messing up a free one will be easier on the budget.  The other expensive turkey will get the traditional treatment.

Happy Trails.

2 comments:

Harry Flashman said...

Well, at least you got out and away for a bit. That's always a good thing.

Old NFO said...

It was 33 up here this morning, so at least 'this' end of the front is living up to expectations... Hope you're planning on getting up WAY early to smoke that sucker. Having done a few that way, they ARE better! :-)