Friday, November 25, 2016

Leftovers

Well it's all over but the left overs.  We have way to many this year.  Two small turkeys with all the trimmings.  Why two turkeys?  If you are new here, I previously talked about doing this since I wanted to try smoking a turkey for the first time.  It was a free turkey so I wasn't real worried about losing it if I messed it up.  The other turkey was going to be a back up for that reason.  The smoked turkey turned out much better than I expected.  Very smokey flavor and aroma.  Although just a bit drier on the white meat than it should have been.  The smoked turkeys I have had in the past, all commercially done, have been very moist.  That is what I was shooting for.  However, this was a hit. 
I polled everyone at the table, which they preferred.  It was a resounding reply for the smoked.  My oldest son doesn't even care for turkey said it was the best turkey meal he has ever had.  He ate like it too, having several helpings.  I guess this will be the way from now on.  We will cut it back to one turkey though.  Sent leftovers home with everyone and still have 2 one gallon zip lock bags of turkey.
Most will be frozen for later use through the coming months since you can't find turkeys in the stores after Christmas.  Mmmm turkey sandwiches.

Today I will watch some college football and hope my team pulls out a win on the last game of the season, and become bowl eligible.  From being a promising year with high hopes it has become a disaster to say the least and the coach is under fire.  He may not last till the bowl game if they get one.  Too bad, while I thing the coach is a great man and has high principles and conducts himself with class, the results have not met the expectations of the deep pocket boosters.  The win record always outweighs the character of a man I'm sad to say.

I hope your turkey day was satisfying in every way.

Happy Trails.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

We finished the leftovers last night... :-)