Friday, August 5, 2016

Friday


While we were out running errands earlier this week the grocer had some tomato plants ready to go.  I picked up four to try and get a few before the first frost sets in.  With the heat and dry conditions we are experiencing, I will have to pay closer attention to them, so they don't die on me, than I did my mature plants.  They are already in the ground and fertilized.  Now if I can keep these tender plants from burning up we should have a crop of tomatoes by late fall.  They won't be near as productive but it's better than store bought for sure.

I still need to find some onion plants but I won't plant those until mid October.  No frost issues with those and they will be ready to go by late May or early June.

I do need to do some prep work on the garden.  The Bermuda grass has taken over one end of it.  I tried for a while to keep it out, but it is very hard to get the root out when you pull it.  Consequently it comes back, and soon.  The heat beat me into submission and kept me from continuing the grass pulling.  So I will get the weed eater out and cut it down to the ground and then cover it with the black plastic.  That does a real good job of killing it off.  It will come back since it is in the middle of the back yard, I can't kill the grass up to the edges of the garden plat.  It would look really bad.  It's the lazy mans way of dealing with weeds/grass.  I admit it.

I have been working on some leather from those kits we got the other day.  One holster is finished.  It's a minimalist style.  Not bulky at all and fits a large semi-auto.  I really like this style.  I may need to make one for my 1911.  I didn't tool any designs on this one.  Just a plain holster, nothing fancy.  I love to tool on leather, but this may sell a bit faster.  Won't have to worry about whether the design is appealing to anyone other than me.


 Same holster, one is taken with a flash




The other one will have some tooling on it.  It is a pattern I picked up from a class I took.  The guy that taught the class said this design is his biggest seller and gets requests for it all the time.  This is pre-stain an pre-assembly.


I have a brisket in the freezer that needs to be cooked/BBQ'ed.  I gave the wife some options on what to do with it.  I was about to give details of this but deleted it.  It sounded like I was bragging.  While being Texan, bragging can come naturally, there are things I try to stay quiet about and not blow my own horn.  You will just have to wonder.

Happy Trails.

3 comments:

Harry Flashman said...

That's a nice looking holster, and a nice pistol to boot.

Old NFO said...

That holster should move quick! And I'll be interested to see the other one, when finished. :-) Good luck with the tomatoes in this heat!

Randy said...

Harry Falshman-thanks sir, it shoots well too.

Old NFO-I hope it does, but if it doesn't maybe I can find a use for it :)