Monday, August 15, 2016

Chiropractor Update

The Chiropractor had some information regarding my back that was surprising to say the least.  The X-rays showed my lower back (L1) vertebrae had either been broken or I was born with it being completely out of line.  I could see it myself on the X-ray.  He said that if he hadn't seen me walking when he looked at them for evaluation, he would have determined that the patient wasn't able to walk.  This type misalignment is caused by trauma or it was there from birth.  Everyone that has had a trauma event could pin point exactly when it happened due to the pain.  Also If I had had X-rays before, this would have shown up if it was there.  No real memory of a trauma event that I would consider painful enough for a broken back.  But I did get X-rays as a young teen due to a back issue I had never had before.  They evidently didn't see this IF it was there.

I had been hauling watermelon with my grandfather all one summer.  Just before summer football practice in August my back acted up to the point it was extremely painful to even walk.  I had experienced a blow the back at football practice a couple years earlier that gave me sharp sudden pain in that area.  But it subsided within a day. So I have no real idea if trauma occurred or it has been there from birth.  Maybe those doctors missed it completely back then.

He says he can fix my neck.  It should take 6-9 visits.  Yes, that's outside the 5 limit I placed on him.  But since I have already experienced some relief, I will continue.  That is encouraging.    I have spurs everywhere.  One is about to grow closed fusing the vertebrae in my neck.  He can help it, for a while, when it closes, it is fused.  The lower back thing, he says he can't fix it.  It's been that way for a really long time.  But he is attempting to help it some.  I believe he has a little.  Moving that vertebrae that far will be a challenge. 

So this may become an off and on thing with the chiropractor.  An attempt to stave off the inevitable for a few years.  Ah well, it could be worse.  I am determined to not let this slow me down anymore than I have, that's pretty slow already.

Happy Trails

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

They can't work miracles, but they can help the situation.

Mark Wallace said...

Those x-rays really revealed what you probably feared all along. It’s great to hear that the work the chiro is doing shows some positive results. A friend advised me to see the local chiropractor. He manipulated my neck gently and the pain instantly vanishes. Hopefully, they can repair the problem so you don't have to live with that pain.