Sunday, July 3, 2016

July 4

Sorry no patriotic post.  Not feeling overly patriotic these days with all the yahoo's we have running around this great land.  Nearly lost my lunch the other day when I sat down to watch a little TV and the first thing on was a Hildabeast commercial.  I thought they would at least wait until she got the actual nomination.  I got up and left the room before I actually puked.  It did remind me we will now have all these worthless political commercials from here until the election, oh yippee.

We will celebrate the 4th regardless, but for other more intimate reasons.  It will mark our 41st anniversary.  We will head into town and have a late lunch at a great steak house.  We won't stay out late at all.  We go early for a couple reasons.  One is to avoid any holiday crowds (actually we aren't even sure they will be open being a holiday), the other is our dog, Buster, has a horrible aversion to the fireworks noise.  He gets terrified if we aren't there to help him stay calm, and then he still is pretty nervous.  In a lot of ways, Buster dictates a lot of what, when and how we do things.  Yes it can be a burden at times, but we made a commitment when we got him.  I try to live up to commitments.  We don't consider him as 'just a dog.'  He is family.

The fireworks around here can be pretty loud.  I don't have a clue what they are but some of those things sound like artillery they are so loud.  They are not your usual firecrackers for sure.  They must spend a ton of cash on those things with as many as they set off.  At least the 4th isn't nearly as bad as New Year's.  Not even close.  They will still be going off at 4 AM then.  We live out in the county so there are no ordinances prohibiting setting off fireworks.  There are a lot of folks that take advantage of that.  I have done my share of doing the same, but it gets old after a while, especially at 4 AM.

So far the new smartphone is pretty cool, especially the Bluetooth hearing aid thing.  I can hear whoever is calling me in my hearing aids without anyone else hearing anything but my side of the conversation.  It's basically hands free, except for the microphone to speak to the caller.  Still have to hold the phone to pick up my words.  Haven't determined how far away it can be and still pick up my voice adequately.  One thing that was a bit disconcerting was the ringer goes off in my ear also and the phone itself.  I can fix that though.

Have a great 4th of July.


4 comments:

CenTexTim said...

Y'all really got married on the 4th? Very cool!!! (It also makes it easy to remember your anniversary.)

My wife and I got married Oct. 27 (I had to go check). I wanted to get married on the 31st (Halloween) for two reasons. One, it would make it easy to remember the date, and two, it would have been one helluva wedding/reception/party, with everyone in costume. But the 27th was a Sat. and the 31st was a Wed., so she won (the first of many victories for her...).

As for Buster, ditto with our dogs.

Randy said...

CenTexTim, yes we really did. She was just out of High School and we were going to get married ASAP ( her idea). several of our friends were also getting married that summer. July 4th was the first weekend that friends weren't getting married also. Plus at the time we thought it would be cool to both have the day off due to the holiday, but that didn't work out as well.

Halloween, that would be novel.

Harry Flashman said...

Good you are getting out, that's worth celebrating. I'm staying out here in the woods , but there will still be fireworks echoing through the mountains. I hope they don't set the forest on fire.

Old NFO said...

Good for you!