Thursday, June 30, 2016

I Caved

Yes, I did.  I moved into the current century by getting a Smartphone.  I had resisted it over the years and never had a true need for one.  To get one just because it was the latest rage seemed goofy to me.  I also didn't want to become one of those annoying folks, including family, that would break them out and surf the internet or whatever they did with them, at family gatherings, visiting with friends, in restaurants etc.  I find that extremely rude and inconsiderate.  I know that I might be tempted to break mine out when things got boring.  Being bored is not a valid reason to be rude to your friends/family or anyone for that matter.  So I resisted. 

I rarely ever get a call anyway.  I do text but can go for days without ever sending or receiving one and you don't need an expensive smartphone to do that.  So I kept using my old flip phone, it was about 10 years old and was still working fine for what I needed.  

I did miss having a better camera, one that would actually take pictures big enough to see what it is you photographed, especially with Grandkids.  I don't carry my regular camera with me every time.  Having a much better one will be nice.  

However, with now having hearing aids I can connect them to my phone and hear the conversation in the hearing aids instead of resorting to speaker phone and letting everyone else in on my conversations, when they actually happen.  The app also lets me make adjustments to the hearing aids as needed without having to go to Costco and having them do a minor adjustment to the volume levels.  I can also change the program without being as obvious by reaching up and pushing the buttons several times, I can do that on the app, in my lap.  That's how I justified it anyway.  It didn't cost me anything other than activation fees and an additional 20$/mo. and committing to a two year contract.  

I have already noticed that the battery doesn't last very long compared to the old phone.  Hopefully once I get it all set up and I quit goofing around with the new toy that it will last longer. 

Don't judge me, I know I'm weak.

Happy Trails 

2 comments:

Harry Flashman said...

That sounds pretty good to me. I have never been averse to using technology to help me resolve issues. I would say from the sound of it you are a lot more savvy about phones than I am.

I had a plain old cell phone you could make calls on and text on, but when the wife and I retired we got rid of them, thinking we wouldn't need a phone anymore.

However, I got another one not long ago because I got nervous about these day trips we have been taking. I was concerned about what would happen if I broke down way out in the mountains somewhere where there are no houses. And these days, even if you went up to someone's house and said your vehicle broke down, I doubt they would open the door.

We old guys need to be flexible, says I.

Old NFO said...

I've had one for years... Since I retired, I find myself using it less and less, but I'm getting hearing aids next month, so I may be using the phone the same way you are now.