Thursday, July 14, 2016

Buster's Vet Visit

The visit to the Vet went as well as we could have hoped.  They did a needle 'biopsy' of the lumps and it turns out they are a lipoma, fatty tumor as I suspected and hoped.  So no treatment is necessary other than to take off a little more weight, that will help with those.  He also took a look at the inflation he has been having on his belly causing him to scratch.  We suspected an allergy of some sort.  He said it was an allergic reaction.  We discussed what it may be from.  He suggested that it could be from the fleas he had a while back.  While he found no fleas he could see evidence of them having been there.  Flea poop basically, even after repeated baths.  So we got an antibiotic for the inflammation and an oral med for any possible fleas.  That was just one pill that will kill any fleas as soon as they bite and lasts 3 months.  It was extremely expensive for just one pill.  We helped with his car payment this month with everything.  Peace of mind does have a price.

Buster was more nervous than I have ever seen  him at the Vet.  Poor guy was trembling and hiding under the bench 'Mom' was sitting on and was extremely drooly.  That was a first.  Maybe since it hadn't been as long since the last visit he remembered better than before.  As soon as the exam was over you could see the change in his demeanor.  He was much more relaxed.  It just amazes me how perceptive dogs are.  Most times we don't pick up on it.  It's our failing to figure it out, not there's when something is going on.  So we will work on more weight loss and enjoy the time we have with him and give thanks.

We made a trip into town to see my folks.  As it turns out I crashed a 'girls day out' the wife had planned with my Mom and Sister-in-law.  My brother showed up also which was a nice surprise.  We hadn't seen them since December.  We had a great lunch at my favorite little hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant.  Enjoyed some great enchiladas and carne guisada and some of the best homemade flour tortillas I have ever eaten.  I have eaten a lot of those in my lifetime.  It turned out to be a fun trip even having to go into town.

The garden is starting to show signs of heat stress but I am still picking tomatoes, anywhere from 2-3 a day to the dozen I picked the day before.  I am amazed at the length of time these things are producing even with the heat.  It was like that last year also but I thought it was fluke.  No idea why I am getting such production.  Now if it would transfer to other plants.  The two bell pepper plants have been pulled up after '0' production.  They won't be replanted along with the strawberries.  So I need to figure out what I will plant in their place next year.  I am hoping to figure a way to get a few watermelons without overwhelming the garden.  I may try anyway.

Happy Trails

2 comments:

Harry Flashman said...

I hate taking my animals to the vet. I rarely get good news when I do. Especially when one of the ferrets is sick.

Wish I was getting some tomatoes from my garden like that. So far I've had only one.

Old NFO said...

Sounds like good news all around, except for the vet bill!