Sunday, November 22, 2015

Urgent



Have been more involved in getting Mom and Dad squared away than I thought we would at this point of this move.  It has consumed most if not all our free time of which there is less than you might imagine.  Mom has gotten a deep sense of urgency about finalizing getting the house they moved from finished up.  She is so stressed she isn't a lot of help when we try to accomplish things.  We would probably get much more done if she wasn't there but we need to ask questions on what she wants to do with things we find.  Then she changes her mind about what she wants. 

On top of all that, Mom broke her foot.  I don't really understand how it happened but it was as simple as just taking a step.  It's not real bad, she actually won't wear the brace they gave her since it hurts more than using a shoe.  Yeah, I know but you have to know my Mom, I just suggest.  She didn't want to bother us to take her to the ER when it happened.  She couldn't drive so she had Dad do it.  Not a good thing.  Kim chastised her for not calling,  Her response was that we have done so much lately that she didn't want to ask for more.  That is exactly why they moved closer to us.  Frustrating to say the least. 

One of the reasons she is in a more urgent mode is that they found out that my cousin ( that is buying the house) will be approved Monday rather than early January.  She anticipates her wanting to move in sooner, probably by the holidays I would assume.  She fluctuates also between what she wants to do with the remaining items at the house.  There isn't much furniture left, just a lot of odds and ends.  Tons of glassware and decorative items.  First she wants to sell it all, then she is worried about people traipsing through her house.  Then she would call Salvation Army and just donate everything so she could be done with it and they would haul it all off.  Now she is back to wanting to sell it but not sure who would do that.  It would take several days and not all of it would get sold I'm sure and that would need to be disposed of. The rest of our family mostly all have jobs or kids events and aren't available to help as much even on weekends, and that takes it's toll. 

We also had a quick birthday party for my Dad who turned 88.  I was told he has never had a birthday party.  It took him a bit to figure out he was having a birthday party when he saw the whole family at my brother's.

All of this has been on top of just our everyday life that includes trying to get Kim's car in to get the bumper fixed and have the roofer come out.  We can't get Kim's car in until 12/14 they are so busy.  The roofer spent some time in the ER with his wife and that was pretty serious.  I told him don't worry about us to take care of family first.  The roof will wait.

Kim was invited to have a table at a private show at someone's home that has this holiday event every year with various vendors.  Since she was 'new blood' they anticipated she would be very popular and do well.  Turns out the event was much farther than she knew, well over 150 miles round trip.  She made 22$ in sales and said most all the guests and vendors were friends or knew each other and for the most part ignored her.

These are just the highlights.  We are hoping things settle a bit after Thanksgiving but probably not.

Have also been bothered quite a bit more than usual about the various situations that are happening across the globe.  I try to keep that off this blog sense there are so many others that have a better way of explaining/writing their thoughts about it.  But there are times that I just have to vent.  I do a lot of shouting to myself in my head and at the TV (yes I am watching the network news again but my filters are on high alert.)  Kim hears some but I try not to rant with her to much, I do that enough already.  She doesn't need the burden of my concerns of what I see and perceive going on in the world.  She is not oblivious but chooses to focus on what she can control.  She has taught me a lot about that just from her actions.  She is my rock and I try to be hers.  As long as we have each other things will be OK.

Happy Trails.

3 comments:

CenTexTim said...

I've been through that whole role-reversal thing, where we transition from kids to parents, and visa versa. It's not easy, it's not smooth, and it takes a long, looong time.

The only thing I can say is that I was willing to do it because my parents did so much for me.

Hang in there...

Randy said...

Thanks

Old NFO said...

Hang in there is right. Thoughts and prayers...