Saturday, November 7, 2015

I Hate Plumbing

Yes, I do.  What I do may not really be considered Plumbing truthfully.  It generally takes me longer to fix a small problem than what I would expect as normal.  We have two baths.  The one nearest my office was the boys bathroom when they were home.  I have had to replace the sink faucets in there twice.  I went the budget route and have had to pay the price of doing more plumbing in there than I ever would have guessed.  It also included replacing the supply lines to both faucets at least that twice if not more.  It turns out we have unusually high water pressure and the lines leaked occasionally.

The last set of cheap faucets I put in there had issues with the handles that urn the water on.  They would get stuck and then the plastic knob would break when you tried to turn them.  Did I say they were cheap?  I replaced the knobs and fixed the stickiness.  Or so I thought.  We rarely use that bath but guests would.  So the faucet knobs didn't get used regularly and the hard water played havoc.  They got sticky again very soon and the new knobs also broke on one of them.  We actually turned the water off to that one around the time I had surgery so I didn't get around to fixing it. 

The idea was we would replace both with high quality this time.  But the expense of those things, sheesh.  With all the other expenses we had been incurring along with the need to fix the leaky roof it was put off.  Until Friday.  I had found some we wanted at Home Depot on sale.  Kim was anxious to get them done before Thanksgiving when family would be over most likely. 

The cabinets under those sinks are a catch-all.  So they are loaded up with various items like cleansers and old plumbing parts.  So you have to unload all that too.  The most frustrating thing was a leak I couldn't seem to get to stop once I thought I was finished.  I tightened and tightened worrying about getting it to tight (stipped). What was leaking was from a spot I didn't even touch in this process.  How does that happen?  Did I tell you I hate plumbing?

I started working on replacing them and couldn't find my plumbers putty and Teflon tape.  I know I had some but they were making a great effort of avoiding my detecting their hiding place.  Another trip to Home Depot.  Got home and promptly stepped in water puddle in the wash room.  Right beside the water heater we had replaced right after my surgery.  GRRRRR.  It wasn't there 45 minutes ago when I left. 

It turns out it was the water filter on the back of the refrigerator.  A pin hole leak developed in that short time.  Got all those things done and fixed.  Haven't put everything back like it was as I wait to see if there are any leaks.  There were a couple minor ones so far that just needed a little tightening.

I really hate plumbing.

Happy Trails

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

After my last 'excursion' into plumbing, I just pay the man... I'm too old to get down and bend myself into the contortions required to actually fix the ##*&% things right!

CenTexTim said...

Friends of ours had similar ongoing plumbing issues. They also had high water pressure. Turns out it was the high pressure that was causing the problems. They got a flow regulator installed just past the water meter on the house side. Nary a plumbing problem since.

Carmelo said...

I think many people agree with that statement. My dad was a fix everything yourself kind of person. The problem was that he had no skills so he would just tear something a part and then leave a mess and my mom would then end up giving a professional a call to come and fix it and it happened again.

Carmelo @ PRO Hot Water Service

Randy said...

Carmelo, now that's funny. Thanks for stopping by